Rewire confussion

Boathook

Visit site
When I designed the electrical system my boat about 20 years ago I tried to include equipment to allow expansion of I included 10% extra switched and spare wiring.

I now have no spares left and even during wiring I had to increase the size of trundling and add extra trunking

If I were to do it again (which I won't) I would try to think all I may need then double it and then double it again and expect to runout at some time in the future
I did that years ago. Had to add a bigger switch panel a few years back plus work another route for extra wires as in one section I couldn't add extra trunking !

onesea

Visit site
Reading the comments here, I am more satisfied with my choice snakes gangbang well labelled but simple. I have found a surface mount waterproof 12v blade fuse holder.

Blade fuses because they are easy to see test and cheap to buy. I avoided circuit breakers because they can be to sensitive IMHO.

I bought the boat with no 240v system and she is stating that way until it becomes a problem. I have a camping lead fully breakered if I need it, the cost of plugging in is only going up and for the 3 times a year we use it it seems like a good compromise.

We have no power on our mooring and have yet to struggle for electricity. We have 50-100w off solar available and the biggest consumer is a fridge and that is not to essential.

steveeasy

Visit site
That looks good steve, whats that kind of trunking called or do you have a link? Never seen it before and looks really useful, better than a bunch of cable tied wires in a loop behind the door like mine.
CEF.
City electrical factors in all cities in UK. Slotted trunking/channel £15 per 2 mtrs.
Once you’ve fitted your wires in it a cover goes over. So I’ve used it for my panel feed wires, separate positives supply and negative wires .
Spagetti no more!!!
steveeasy

Oh that’s for something like 30 x30.

pandos

Visit site
Thoughts for you. Did you have a switch that turned on your autopilot? Do the instruments/ auto pilot even go near the switchboard?

I am going through this now addition of Solar AIS Etc. I bought a Dymo machine every wire is getting labelled. It’s taken 18 months slowly so far of finding “random” junctions and identifying without stripping half the trim to find out where a random wire goes.

It’s a PITA it will not look tidy, however if taken apart every wire will be identifiable, at every junction, easy to identify change or remove. As I am sure that in my ownership there will be “new essentials” to add.

The nightmare I am having in doing this is the in-line fuses. Some units have them others don’t, some are by the unit others at the other end of the wire. How do you indicate that other than very long Dymo labels.
I used a dymo labeler a few years ago. I noticed recently that some of the labels are falling off.

I was advised at the time to cover them with clear heat shrink but I ignored this advice😢