Retiring from yachting

geem

Visit site
That was my point... I don't see why he should not do that further by taking up wing foiling just because it might knock a statistical rounding error off his four score and ten.
Well, having spent the day wing foiling and being several years younger, the injuries you incur learning, are quite painful. I am still reasonably agile with good balance but even so I have cuts and bruises and feel the pain. I can't imagine being 84 and dealing with the battering with less mobility, thin skin and a slow healing process. My advice stands. It harder to wing foil than kitesurf and the Injuries from a wing foil can be serious. A friend of mine was wave foiling in Hawaii a few months ago and severed his neck on the foil. A freak accident but he needed major surgery to save his life and several further operations to restore his voice box. He is a big fit guy in his 40s. It's not a sport to take up in your 80s.

Last edited:

astongraves

Visit site
when I had to retire from yachting I was really scared to do it because I dint actually have any plan about what to do after it and where to get money for living😅

The Q

Visit site
I've raced against 100+ year old People, changing your type of sailing rather than giving up may be the way to go.
we day sail open boats for 1 hour a race, then have a tea break then have another race.
many of our sailors are 60 to late 80s with as I said the odd one much more venerable.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Just given up at 87, wife late 70’s. Reason formula: (travel, from nr.Birmingham,+ maintenance) > pleasure. Still dinghy racing though which has reduced the sense of loss. Owned a cruising boat for 50 years but better to give up when you can hand your boat over in relatively good order than let her fade away as you decline.

scottie

Visit site
Gave it up just as COVID emerged for health reasons before I became a liability to others
yes I miss it but my memories are great with no one hurt do so my selfishness

Other threads that may be of interest