Retiring from yachting

ffiill

Visit site
At just gone 70 I have finally packed it in.Not a choice due to ill health but something that has crept up on me.
My boat which sold last week after a very protracted sail period of ten years finally sold for a song.
From when I bought it in the Firth of Clyde in 2005 up until 2015 it was in the water 9 out of 10 seasons.
In the autumn of 2015 I left its mooring in Plockton and secured it ashore for the winter and it never went back in.I was away visiting family in Oz.that winter and busy with my seasonal business in the summer.
2017 began with diesel bug which I did not have time to do anything about until early 2018 after another winter in Oz.The following two years passed by and then Covid.
Oh well and I am already looking at Apollo Duck!

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
At just gone 70 I have finally packed it in.Not a choice due to ill health but something that has crept up on me.
My boat which sold last week after a very protracted sail period of ten years finally sold for a song.
From when I bought it in the Firth of Clyde in 2005 up until 2015 it was in the water 9 out of 10 seasons.
In the autumn of 2015 I left its mooring in Plockton and secured it ashore for the winter and it never went back in.I was away visiting family in Oz.that winter and busy with my seasonal business in the summer.
2017 began with diesel bug which I did not have time to do anything about until early 2018 after another winter in Oz.The following two years passed by and then Covid.
A small motor boat for Clyde waters might do to stay in tune with the sea?

nortada

Visit site

Best of luck.

Advancing years means that we have moved out of sail and back into power so hope we have a few seasons left.🤞🏻

Blueboatman

Visit site
Just go day sailing with friends and bring the sandwiches and smiles . You get to try lotsa different boats …

Enjoy treading lightly on the water , on time and wallet ? 😄

Concerto

Visit site
Wow, you got me thinking as I will be 70 next year. I have no intention to give up sailing until I can no longer manage. I agree with the advice Blueboatman suggests of sailing on friends boats. It is certainly the cheapest way to go sailing and none of the worries of owning and maintaining a boat.

penfold

Visit site
A decision in haste? The old man sold a boat 7 years ago saying he was giving up, regretted it immediately and has had the current boat since 2019. I was out racing at Kip the other weekend with a gentleman in his ninth decade who regularly complains about the frailties of being in late middle age.

Wansworth

Visit site
never actually decided to not have a boat just ended up without one.Now at 73 I have this itch to want to go sailing in my own boat and spend a few days aboard and then reality raises its head and I think of all the reasons I should just forget the idea I have this feeling that I will probably buy a boat and then those reality thoughts will become real😏

Blueboatman

Visit site
never actually decided to not have a boat just ended up without one.Now at 73 I have this itch to want to go sailing in my own boat and spend a few days aboard and then reality raises its head and I think of all the reasons I should just forget the idea I have this feeling that I will probably buy a boat and then those reality thoughts will become real😏
You need to stop going round in mental circles

scottie

Visit site
Wow, you got me thinking as I will be 70 next year. I have no intention to give up sailing until I can no longer manage. I agree with the advice Blueboatman suggests of sailing on friends boats. It is certainly the cheapest way to go sailing and none of the worries of owning and maintaining a boat.
Dont wait till you can’t manage but manage your sailing whilst you can and avoid the stress