Retiring from yachting

Neeves

Visit site
She has just flown back to the UK. He hauls out this week so will be doing all the work himself to put the boat to bed for the summer
His choice of (intelligent) wife has come back to bite him. :)

I cannot get to grips with putting a bolt to bed for the winter, summer.....??

Jonathan

Mister E

Visit site
Unfortunately when you're health fails some people have to give up.
It can be a heavy decision to make but if you physicallyget on to a boat then the unfortunate time has come.

newtothis

Visit site
There was a guy living on a Nauticat in Haslar who was well into his 90s. He took her out singlehanded quite regularly.
Mike Ritchie celebrated his 80th birthday single-handing a small boat westbound across the North Atlantic.
Not sure I'd be that hardcore, but it would be great to still be healthy enough to do so at that age.
But when the fun stops, stop... It's cheaper to look at boats on apolloduck than to own them unused.

geem

Visit site
Unfortunately when you're health fails some people have to give up.
It can be a heavy decision to make but if you physicallyget on to a boat then the unfortunate time has come.
My 84 year old pal is definitely of the opinion, 'use it or lose it'. He has two new knees and other health issues but keeps going. He kitesurfs and pulls off some pretty good jumps. Absolutely stunning for his age. He is talking about taking up wing foiling. I think I persuaded him that the large sharp object on the bottom of the board may actually kill him. Better stick with the kite surfing🙂

newtothis

Visit site
He is talking about taking up wing foiling. I think I persuaded him that the large sharp object on the bottom of the board may actually kill him.
Would it matter? I tried to encourage my father to take up smoking again in his 80s to stop him being so grumpy. Better to burn out than to fade away.

ffiill

Visit site
At just gone 70 I have finally packed it in.Not a choice due to ill health but something that has crept up on me.
My boat which sold last week after a very protracted sail period of ten years finally sold for a song.
From when I bought it in the Firth of Clyde in 2005 up until 2015 it was in the water 9 out of 10 seasons.
In the autumn of 2015 I left its mooring in Plockton and secured it ashore for the winter and it never went back in.I was away visiting family in Oz.that winter and busy with my seasonal business in the summer.
2017 began with diesel bug which I did not have time to do anything about until early 2018 after another winter in Oz.The following two years passed by and then Covid.
Oh well and I am already looking at Apollo Duck!

ffiill

Visit site
At just gone 70 I have finally packed it in.Not a choice due to ill health but something that has crept up on me.
My boat which sold last week after a very protracted sail period of ten years finally sold for a song.
From when I bought it in the Firth of Clyde in 2005 up until 2015 it was in the water 9 out of 10 seasons.
In the autumn of 2015 I left its mooring in Plockton and secured it ashore for the winter and it never went back in.I was away visiting family in Oz.that winter and busy with my seasonal business in the summer.
2017 began with diesel bug which I did not have time to do anything about until early 2018 after another winter in Oz.The following two years passed by and then Covid.
Oh well and I am already looking at Apollo Duck!
As I said it wasn't age or ill health.I mountain bike,hillwalking and swim.However my wife never took to it and it became a bone of contention given the amount of money it cost and went its way!At the time a go anywhere boat and retirement in the Med.was a dream which I thought I would fulfill after the loss of a beautiful cottage which had been promised to me by my auntie-the gardener ended up with half!-don't ask! Oh well!

Wansworth

Visit site
As I said it wasn't age or ill health.I mountain bike,hillwalking and swim.However my wife never took to it and it became a bone of contention given the amount of money it cost and went its way!At the time a go anywhere boat and retirement in the Med.was a dream which I thought I would fulfill after the loss of a beautiful cottage which had been promised to me by my auntie-the gardener ended up with half!-don't ask! Oh well!
Life gets in the way

geem

Visit site
Would it matter? I tried to encourage my father to take up smoking again in his 80s to stop him being so grumpy. Better to burn out than to fade away.
Smoking isn't very physical. A razor sharp 3 foot long foil and the bottom of the board is a very imminent health risk.

newtothis

Visit site
Smoking isn't very physical. A razor sharp 3 foot long foil and the bottom of the board is a very imminent health risk.
Either way, the comparison is doing something that gives pleasure despite the risks to life involved, at a point in one's life most people's life expectancy is in single figures.

Birdseye

Visit site
Sold my boat and "swallowed the anchor" in June 21. Lasted until Feb 22 when I bought another. Best thing I ever did.
I am coming up 78.

Probably wont go far in it though I keep thinking of Knox Johnson circumnavigating in a 60ft steel boat at a similar age. And SWMBO has challenged me to circumnavigate the UK. So maybe?

Beelzebub

Visit site
I'm doing a major refit of my Fireball- new deck and just about everything else apart from sails to be replaced. I hit 70 next year and am looking forward to having the time to get out racing again.

geem

Visit site
Either way, the comparison is doing something that gives pleasure despite the risks to life involved, at a point in one's life most people's life expectancy is in single figures.
My 84 year old pal sails his 57ft yacht and kitesurfs. I would say he was living life to the full

newtothis

Visit site
My 84 year old pal sails his 57ft yacht and kitesurfs. I would say he was living life to the full
That was my point... I don't see why he should not do that further by taking up wing foiling just because it might knock a statistical rounding error off his four score and ten.

Other threads that may be of interest