Retired and fit - looking for a boat. Advice?

neptis

Visit site
I went through and penned the 'list' of boats which suited myself, my type of sailing, and swimbo.
Honed it down to a list of 2 brands/model.
viewed as many of the 2 types I fancied in the flesh (pre lockdown) or online
SO I knew exactly what I wanted when one popped up for sale. I was there within 24 hours to view, and offered on it after stepping off her.
Brokers have it easy! Good luck.
I suspect it’s a bit of a sellers market at the moment so good advice.

Babylon

Visit site
I went through and penned the 'list' of boats which suited myself, my type of sailing, and swimbo.
Honed it down to a list of 2 brands/model.
viewed as many of the 2 types I fancied in the flesh (pre lockdown) or online
SO I knew exactly what I wanted when one popped up for sale. I was there within 24 hours to view, and offered on it after stepping off her.

So, what did you buy?

igster

Visit site
Very interesting discussion. Just curious - why wouldn't you consider a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 311? I saw a few ads and they seem to cost around £35-40K so within your budget.

neptis

Visit site
Very interesting discussion. Just curious - why wouldn't you consider a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 311? I saw a few ads and they seem to cost around £35-40K so within your budget.
Yes. That’s on my list. I chartered one a couple of years ago so know the feel. Would prefer the owners version with the large cabin. However although very comfortable I’m not sure it’s ideal for the more northern waters with a lot of rain and more interesting sea conditions.

neptis

Visit site
I’m retiring but fit and looking for a boat. Sailed dinghy’s as a kid, as an adult crewed on trips around the UK and chartered flotilla yachts in the med. So fairly basic experience and very limited time. Now I have time and funds will not be a constraint. I want something that I can sail around the UK for starters with my partner (equivalent skill). Not seen anything new that appeals – but I could get hold of something like a Westerly Centaur or LM 28 and tidy it up.
Any thoughts on what I should look for?
Thanks to all who contributed and to this thread. After a lot of consideration I purchased a 1979 LM 32 in quite good nick.

Whiterose

Visit site
For £50k you can call the shots Boat prices have been stupid pandemic onwards.I still see prices vastly overpriced ….but they aren’t selling.Follow something like boatshed and see boats been there for years in some cases.You want a boat that’s been re- engined

greeny

Visit site
For £50k you can call the shots Boat prices have been stupid pandemic onwards.I still see prices vastly overpriced ….but they aren’t selling.Follow something like boatshed and see boats been there for years in some cases.You want a boat that’s been re- engined
see post 246

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Well bought. I think will prove a sensible choice. When considering down sizing from a 37ft yacht to a motor sailor the LM 32 was top of my list. You can't beat a wheelhouse in UK climate and the LM 32 sails well I believe

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Thanks to all who contributed and to this thread. After a lot of consideration I purchased
Thanks to all who contributed and to this thread. After a lot of consideration I purchased a 1979 LM 32 in quite good nick
254 posts and you’ve only just bought the boat.

What anchor and scope does it have?