Rescue off Landguard Point

seasicksteve

millie.unilake.co.uk
I’d like to recognise the skipper and crew of Wavelength who facilitated the rescue of two dinghy sailors on Sunday.

We were sailing from Harwich across the shipping lane towards Landguard when we saw a 420 dinghy ahead of us. The wind was increasing and we wondered quite what they were doing out there on their own. As they rounded Landguard Point the dinghy capsized and quickly turned turtle.

Wavelength was coming in the opposite direction and had just passed the dinghy when it capsized. They immediately did a 180, positioned themselves upwind of the dinghy and by the time I’d picked up my Vhf set the skipper was already talking to the coastguard. As a result of their intervention the volunteer rescue rib ‘Last Orders’ was called out and arrived within minutes. I’m pleased to say the two crew, one a child, were rescued and taken to Harwich. I’m not sure if the dinghy was recovered.

I’d like to think that if Wavelength hadn’t been there we would have done the same, but I was very impressed by their quick response and decisive action. We hung around till it was clear everyone was safe, but we still had sails up and I didn’t want to get too close and make matters worse. A few minutes after the capsize a squall came through with stronger winds. Without help the dinghy crew would have been in very serious trouble.
Well done Wavelength.

XTE

Visit site
Wavelength is a Legend 33 from SYH skippered by Peter and Sue. They are on my pontoon and good friends. This was his account of the incident.
35kts of wind, 12ft dinghy, father and son aboard heading out to sea, fast, then they pitchpoled, we immediately turned back to assist. They had no protective clothing, no VHF and they shouldn’t have been sailing such a small boat over a busy shipping lane and out into a choppy open sea! Lucky for them as we were passing and put in a call to the coastguard. The attending lifeboat is based in our marina was on scene in minutes - an amazing service! They scooped the casualties out of the water and took them to Harwich lifeboat station. The lifeboat later pulled along side as we sailed up the river towards SYH and the coxswain said they were lucky we were there as they pair of them were showing signs of hypothermia by the time they dropped them off. The crew thanked us and said the outcome could have been very different if we hadn’t been there at that moment. A lifeboat was subsequently launched to try and recover the dinghy, but we don’t know whether it was found - a hazard to other boats.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Another :encouragement: for the "Camaraderie of the Sea".

From what you say the dinghy pair were very foolish to be out in that weather/conditions but judgement is often over-ruled by enthusiasm!

'tis wise to remember that the sea does not take prisoners; a thought of
.which I often remind myself when I think to myself, "Oh, it'll be OK today".

Well done to all involved in the rescue.

Visit site
Thank you for your kind words!

I did just see your sails as you crossed Pennyhole Bay, but visibility was poor due to the heavy rain, but my partner Sue didn’t spot you at all.

As we’d been sailing close hauled from Bawdsey, the rapidly increasing winds prompted me to drop my sails and proceed under engine, a matter of minutes before we spotted the dinghy. This undoubtedly made it a lot easier for us to attend when things went pear shaped.

Frankly, I was in disbelief as the small dinghy shot past us sailing down wind, out into open, rough water. The crew were in shorts and t-shirts, but wearing buoyancy aids. We kept a close eye on them as I was pretty sure they’d have had no chance going to windward in that chop. Moments later, they pitchpoled, so we were ready to make an about turn.

We tried to afford the stricken dinghy a bit of shelter, but it was pretty bouncy and this combined with tide made this tricky. The adult tried to right his dinghy a couple of times, but it was waterlogged and just got knocked back down. The boy was in the water and struggled to get back on board.

My partner Sue was the main contributor, making contact with the coastguard, providing a running commentary of the Last Orders crew’s actions as they pulled the casualties out of the water etc. She also gave reassurance to the dinghy sailors that help was on it’s way. I am super proud of her and I could not wish for a better crew member!

I think anyone in the same circumstances would have done the same - we were just in the right place at the right time, thankfully!

The other lucky circumstance was that Last Orders was patrolling in the area at the time of the incident. We spotted them heading for Bawdsey just before we dropped our sails. They were on hand in less than 5 minutes of us putting in a call. This boat is not RNLI and I believe is funded by voluntary contributions. Hats off to the guys who routinely give up their time to ensure our safety in local waters!!

Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...0304&posted=1#post6920304#9g7A61L5hwCEboBw.99

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I think anyone in the same circumstances would have done the same - we were just in the right place at the right time, thankfully!

I think you're right, the vast majority of boat owners wouldn't hesitate to assist anyone in trouble. That doesn't in any way make your actions any less applaudable though. The fact that you kept an eye on them was important and it seems to me that without your actions this could so easily ended in tragedy. Well done to both of you :encouragement:

Sunsetsooze

Visit site
Thank you Steve. To be honest there wasn't much discussion between Peter and I about what action we were going to take. In seconds Peter had turned the boat and I had picked up the VHF.

Looking back on the incident it all went so quickly, from seeing the craft pitchpoling to watching the crew rescued. The squall came from nowhere, I guess it caught them out. I do not quite understand why they were so far out from Harwich. They had crossed the shipping lane in fairly heavy weather and were heading out to sea. There is so much good sailing for dingys in the stour and off dovercourt. They were also wearing what I would call summer weight type clothing. We all make mistakes and poor judgment at times, I am just glad the crew of Last Orders and the services of the coastguard acted promptly add all ended well.

For those that are not familiar, the Felixstowe coastal patrol is a separate entity to the RNLI. Their new boat ‘Last Orders’ has replaced ‘Volunteer’ and
Is based at Suffolk yacht Harbour.

Felixstowe coastal patrol is very much an independent organisation and is often seen and heard patrolling the estuary area the Orwell, Walton, Harwich, the Stour and the Deben. They are much like the RNLI but without the huge budget.

https://www.felixstowecoastpatrol.co.uk/

Sue
Wavelength

Last edited:

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
Again, well done Wavelength and a very big up to Last Orders nee Volunteer. They helped us once when we were immobilised in the channel at Parkstone due to diesel bug and no wind. They do a fantastic and very selfless job.

Old Harry

Visit site
Again, well done Wavelength and a very big up to Last Orders nee Volunteer. They helped us once when we were immobilised in the channel at Parkstone due to diesel bug and no wind. They do a fantastic and very selfless job.
Sounds like a fantastic service they offer, how are they funded,

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I was talking to John Creswell a couple of days before this incident about his new boat Last Orders and he was just putting both Boats (Volunteer and Last orders) in the water so that 2 were on patrol that weekend as I understand there were several events on. An excellent service and makes you feel safer knowing they are about