Requirements for CI's

Sadlerfin

Visit site
Hi,
Planning a trip to the CI's next week. I believe I have all the doc's required, Competence certificate / bill of sale / insurance etc, however, whilst I have an original letter from the MCA with my SSR registration number which is clearly marked on the boat the actual plastic card cert has expired.

Can anyone see this being a problem for CI's or indeed France should I have to divert to CB.

Thanks Delbuoy

Tranona

Visit site
Current registration is required, although having the number on the boat may deter random questions. However if asked for the certificate and the one you offer has expired will not be treated lightly, particularly in France. Why do you think it has a renewal date? Get it renewed

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Heading south, through the French Channel ports, in late April / early May, there seemed an increased focus on checks of paperwork. First request: May I see your passport entry stamp? Second request: May I see your vessel’s registration document?
Dieppe and Le Havre, no requests. Cherbourg, spot checks on pontoons. Roscoff & L’Aber Wrac’h ditto. With Roscoff particularly diligent. Brest onward (down to La Rochelle) all quiet.

Last edited:

Seven Spades

Visit site
You don't need to even take your passport for the CI's, I doubt you need any other paperwpork that you woudl not have on boiard either. But if you go to France you have to have Passports, registration and insurance. They might ask for proof tax was paid on your red diesel and they might ask for a ships radio licence and ICC but highly unlikely. VAT status is not an issue.

You should however complete a C1331 before you leave the UK including going to the CI's.

johnalison

Visit site
Current registration is required, although having the number on the boat may deter random questions. However if asked for the certificate and the one you offer has expired will not be treated lightly, particularly in France. Why do you think it has a renewal date? Get it renewed
I once found myself in St Quay with an expired SSR and being visited by someone in uniform. When asked for my papers I gave him the lot, replete with guarantees for electronic bits and everything I could find, with the SSR buried in the middle. My visitor soon lost the will to live and departed, but I wouldn't recommend this except in emergency.

guernseyman

Visit site
Hi,
Planning a trip to the CI's next week. I believe I have all the doc's required, Competence certificate / bill of sale / insurance etc, however, whilst I have an original letter from the MCA with my SSR registration number which is clearly marked on the boat the actual plastic card cert has expired.

Can anyone see this being a problem for CI's or indeed France should I have to divert to CB.

Thanks Delbuoy
If you do move on to Normandy or Brittany you should be aware of the new requirements for a Form variously called Preavis Police aux Frontieres or Preavis Douane - Immigration to be emailed to your port of arrival before you depart.
It requires details of your boat and crew for entry into the Schengen area, and you should also file one before leaving the area.