Replacing yellow 'unmanned' discs - comments?

angelaquayle

Visit site
Replacing yellow \'unmanned\' discs - comments?

Our yellow disc/white background lock unmanned signs are causing confusion with yellow warning boards. We want to change them asap and have come up with a blue disc with the words 'self service' on it. We've asked around and people seem to agree it's the right way to go.
Do you guys have any comments on this/do you think the replacement sign is right? Thanks in advance.

Ramage

Visit site
Re: Replacing yellow \'unmanned\' discs - comments?

Sounds like an improvement on the previous sign.

Please make sure they are nice and big and clear to read.

Some of the forumites do not see so well nowadays.....

DogsBody

Visit site

Sounds fine but we were told initially that the reason for the change to the yellow disc was to make it less clear to non boaters that the lock keeper was not present.

A big sign with "Self Service" on it isn't going to fit in with the above logic. Why not just pick another colour other than red or yellow and go with that? Boaters will know what it means (once they've been told) but wandering yobs will (hopefully) not.

If it wasn't to do with being less obvious to non boaters that the lock was unmanned, then I don't see what was wrong with the previous signs, they were perfectly usable if positioned sensibly i.e. on the lock gates and not the keeper's hut (and even gave a hint as to when the keeper would return).

Whatever is chosen, can we at least stick with it for a while, I know some regular boaters who haven't figured out what the yellow disc means yet and your talking about changing it again!

Darren.

angelaquayle

Visit site

We've been told by various customers and our staff that they are causing confusion. There was also a recent incident where somone apparently set off thinking we were on yellow when we were red. We're going to replace them by sticking the new sign over the old one all being well so it will be as inexpensive as we can make it.

angelaquayle

Visit site

You're right - we don't want to advertise that the lockkeeper isn't there but thought that 'self service' is more ambiguous for the non-boater ie: it's not so inviting as 'lock unmanned'. If we do something a bit more 'ronseal', it will hopefully make more sense to customers and we will stick with it!

Chris_d

Visit site

I have seen this cause confusion, local canoe club thought they were Yellow boards and nearly canceled their training session, but they know now.

I think the current yellow discs are great and certainly up here are easily visable, peeps are slowly learning what they mean, however the confusion with yellow boards needs to be addressed. I wouldn't add any lettering it needs to be an "in the know" kind of sign, so a neutral colour is all thats required, I'd go for black.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site

If I were doing it I'd put a blue sticker over the yellow (amber) part of the disc. Blue is a traditional Thames colour - the EA boats are blue for example. only thing is I'd have the disc displayed when a lock keeper IS on duty and have nothing displayed when nobody is there...

edited to make more sense

Chris_d

Visit site

I agree its the wrong way round but to change that now would only cause more confusion, my preference for black is that it would stand out better at a distance and its completely neutral in terms of being a warning colour.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

Just need an unmanned symbol:
unmanned.jpg

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Brayman

Visit site

Any colour but Yellow I would suggest. Approaching locks with the Yellow information signs is really confusing, eg approaching Cleeve going down river always confuses me. I see the yellow info board and immediately assume the lockkeepers is away, next thing the gates open - if I'm really lucky!!!!!

No Regrets

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
unmanned.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoorah for common sense.

Give the man a 'Ceegar' /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BillyBloater

Visit site

I agree with Dogs Body, simply use a different colour and dont confuse it with writing.

If people dont understand its meaning then they will soon find out when they have to wind a lock by hand !!

Regards,

Billy

Phill

Visit site

I must admit, I'm not keen on the over use of signs in general.
There seem to be so many around these days, when driving etc, its gives the impression that we are all brain dead and lost the ability to think for ourselves.
I own a garage business and my workshop has so many HSE signs on the wall, it looks a mess. Saves on paint thought.

What was wrong with mooring at layby and taking a short walk to the lock? Is there a reason we need these signs and if so, why change them. Nobody I know has ever been confused by them. People that don't know what they mean, can ask. If, after that, they still forget, they're probably better off giving up boating.

Not really a rant, more a bad day at work. Anyway I'm gonna go and live in the past.
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Harpsden

www.skipperslog.com

Came across the yellow sign for the first time last week at Shiplake Lock. Found it confusing, it made me think it was an updated 'yellow board'. Walked to lock-keepers hut and there was a poster explaining so all became clear at that point.

A different colour to yellow/amber would be better.

Harpsden

joejo

Visit site

I never had a problem with the little board the lock keepers hung on the gate which often said why they were away [lunch weir etc] and when they would be back. You could then make your decision to wait or work the lock yourself. I do find the large round signs rather impersonal and often not set corectly which makes it even more confusing IMHO

C

Chrusty1

"Anyway I'm gonna go and live in the past."

Been living there for years now, much nicer, less stress....People say please, thank you and excuse me. They let you out of side roads, smile and say "good morning/afternoon" etc when you meet them on the street.

I aint telling you lot were the past is, because you will all want to go there, and it's already getting a bit crowded..........

By the way, we don't have rickets and polio, or poverty, we don't have, hoodies and Oiks, or any other type of anti social nasties, we send them back to the "Present" if they try to come here..........or shoot them.

Yours, Captain C Grimblybold, of the Schooner "Fairytale".

Chris_d

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
unmanned.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh but that means no men without necks allowed /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I went through Days lock last week, it ws unmanned, as I was working the buttons a rambler asked me what the yellow disk meant and if it meant he was not allowed to cross (the disk is on the gates), seriously I think the above sign would be even more confusing.