Replacing SMEV gas oven with microwave.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Hi Richard,

Photos below. Took a LOT of research but I managed to find a cheapish Microwave / Grill that was suitable for building in to a cabinet. The original trim kit was 10cm to large so that went in the bin and was replaced by one bought locally in Spain.

This is the model...

Samsung MG23A7013CT Built-In Stainless steel Microwave + Grill 23L, 1100W

I'd have preferred a Stainless Steel surround but forgot to tell my chap.

Attachments

• Photo from Peter Mansion (1).jpg
    Photo from Peter Mansion (1).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo from Peter Mansion.jpg
    Photo from Peter Mansion.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 39

Richard.C

Visit site
Hi Richard,

Photos below. Took a LOT of research but I managed to find a cheapish Microwave / Grill that was suitable for building in to a cabinet. The original trim kit was 10cm to large so that went in the bin and was replaced by one bought locally in Spain.

This is the model...

Samsung MG23A7013CT Built-In Stainless steel Microwave + Grill 23L, 1100W

I'd have preferred a Stainless Steel surround but forgot to tell my chap.

Thanks Pete, that looks great, was the surround custom made to fit and is it sat on the same shelf the SMEV oven was on or did you need to fabricate a way to secure the microwave?

Richard

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
It seems boat builders have issues with making a microwave installation look okay

View attachment 155159
There's some challenges. Firstly, most galley cabinets on small boats (c. < 55ft) are 500mm wide. Standard domestic kitchen units are 600mm wide. It's VERY difficult to find a microwave / grill that is suitable for fitting in a cabinet 500mm wide with the recommended clearances to the sides. You have a little more choice if you don't need a grill but obviously that would be rubbish for bacon butties :).

Some people use the large 500mm wide Panasonic however that is designed to be free standing with a clear c. 40cm or so each side of it. People seem to be using that model without issue but I'm not sure I'd want to use it in full oven mode.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Nice job Pete. You may remember I bought the second hand Panasonic from a S37 which should make fitting to my S37 quite straightforward. I’m aiming to take it out to Spain in a couple of weeks. It is a table top model but using it over Christmas, which was handy, there was practically no side heat loss so I’m comfortable with reasonable cooking not causing any problems. My concern is the shore support (like you no generator). I may have to turn off the a/c or the immersion heater during cooking. My other concern is customs but let’s see!