Replacing furling line on Selden Furlex Type B mk2.

eddystone

Visit site
I have fairly old but perfectly serviceable Furlex and have a new furling line to replace the rather old and damaged existing. Just checking what is the easiest way to do it. Suppose the first question is it necessary to remove the sail or can it be done while the sail is furled? My feeing is it would be easier to drop the sail. I can see one has to remove the line guard to get access to the drum - not sure about the guide arm but have to separate drum into 2 halves to form a stopper knot inside the drum. Biggest risk is dropping parts into the river - doubt if a replacement drum is available for a 30 yr old Furlex.

8AA3FFB7-9F3B-4027-AD5A-BC6605E311A3.jpeg

Attachments

• 4A22041D-2C02-4C51-A46A-FE6F53AF6CA5.jpeg
    4A22041D-2C02-4C51-A46A-FE6F53AF6CA5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Boathook

Visit site
I suspect that you can do it with the sail furled up, as long as it is clear of the drum, etc.

I would tie a tarpaulin or something similar around the bottom to save dropping bits overboard for the reasons you mention.

I take my 200S furler to bits every year and it is the small clip that holds the line guard on that is a pain. My manual also mentions keeping a few loose turns round the drum as you split it so the section without the line doesn't go overboard.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
It can be done with the sail up, I have done this a few times. The drum splits in two, there are two wedges, 180 degree apart that need to be pushed in to free the halfs. It is easy to do but the wedges can be stiff and require both to be pushed in at the same time.

By the way, I have replaced mine now, as parts are becoming very difficult to source, so don't damage anything or drop parts into the sea. Follow Boathooks advice and fit something to catch parts. On here recently a picture of an umbrella was shown over the bow, a split round basin or bucket cut down to fit around the forestay could also be used, as well as the tarpaulin suggestion.

morgandlm

Visit site
Easy to do with the sail attached. As others have said make sure you secure the bits if doing this afloat. I lost the loose half of the drum overboard when springing the two halves apart. One half is secure because the furling line is fitted into it but the other is loose so secure it somehow before starting to prise them apart. Luckily managed to scrounge a replacement from the local rigger.

Aja

Visit site
I have fairly old but perfectly serviceable Furlex and have a new furling line to replace the rather old and damaged existing. Just checking what is the easiest way to do it. Suppose the first question is it necessary to remove the sail or can it be done while the sail is furled? My feeing is it would be easier to drop the sail. I can see one has to remove the line guard to get access to the drum - not sure about the guide arm but have to separate drum into 2 halves to form a stopper knot inside the drum. Biggest risk is dropping parts into the river - doubt if a replacement drum is available for a 30 yr old Furlex.

View attachment 177985
Hope you resist the temptation in replacing the original furling line with something matt and softer on the hands. Furling line is hard for the reason it is less likely to jam under load.

eddystone

Visit site
Hope you resist the temptation in replacing the original furling line with something matt and softer on the hands. Furling line is hard for the reason it is less likely to jam under load.
Well I just went for 8mm Liros braided polyester from Force 4 which is the diameter specified in Selden parts list. It feels a lot more slippery than the existing line which is hard alright but its also pretty "furred up" so I'd say it has a lot more friction than the new one.