Reliable and quality boatyard work

andybussell

Visit site
I asked for quotes for copper coating and keel flap replacement on my Southerly recently. One yard replied in detail within a week, another I have heard nothing from for more than 3 weeks so:

I'm interested please in hearing what people think about the quality and reliability of east coast boatyard work and who they would recommend.

Thanks in advance

Prasutigus

Visit site
I asked for quotes for copper coating and keel flap replacement on my Southerly recently. One yard replied in detail within a week, another I have heard nothing from for more than 3 weeks so:

I'm interested please in hearing what people think about the quality and reliability of east coast boatyard work and who they would recommend.

Thanks in advance
Greetings, I had some work done on my old cutter by the shipwrights at Suffolk Yacht Harbour. The quality of the joinery was immaculate, just perfect.
It wasn't cheap, but where is at yard rates?

A word of caution..I'm just back from crewing on a delivery of a top-dollar fibreglass bermudan, under 10 yrs old, and the coppercoat, applied professionally from new, was peeling off in scabs and blisters.

Surface preparation issues perhaps? The owner reckoned that you can't just go over it with antifouling if it goes wrong, unless you mechanically remove all the c-c right down to the gelcoat.
It's a commitment all right, that's for sure!

MoodySabre

Visit site
I had my CC done by Tollesbury. They seemed to be very thorough and the boat was in a heated shed for 12 days and I could go and do other jobs, ideal on January. Three years on and looking good.

My friend had his done there and the blaster (not in-house) took his epoxy coating off with the AF - not at all happy. They re-expoxied it but it was a good job he noticed.

Generally I find that if you pay a modest price for someone to do a job you don’t like then you need to monitor it carefully

Poecheng

Visit site
Speak to Javelin (of this parish) at Southwold (Harbour Marine Services) who is excellent - he will show you round and the depth of experience and skill is enough to convince you to get your boat there if it is feasible.

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
Wasn't going to join in on this thread as it didn't feel right but the fact is we've had a run of Southerly's in the last couple of years. Three 115's and a couple of 110's
Including fitting a bow thruster, new electronics, new engines, repair to a t-boned 115, Gelcoat repairs, rotten bulkheads hidden under the saloon, water tanks, a holding tank in a hanging locker! sticky keel issues, standing and running rigging change, oh and on one Southerly 38 where we stripped off what was left of the old copper coat, re epoxied and painted with normal anti-foul before delivering to the Baltic.
Also got a 135 due in next year for a full refit including re-bedding the keel.
Personally not keen on copper coating, horrible job to do right but we have done it a few times.

gertha

Visit site
Here my experience.
Early this year I was planing to move a mature Swan from Spain to Suffolk for some TLC. Suffolk is my home turf.
I went to Southwold and met proprietor , his approach was professional and quote for work was produced quickly, all sight unseen.
Yacht/toy/boat was then sailed to Suffolk, stopped in Levington and negotiated with another boat yard director, his quote was slow; but price lower than Southwold, this sight seen so may be Southwold could have improved.
In my opinion Levington has better facilities than Southwold; but both do a good job.
Shotley, I have known this marina for many years, the work is good, maybe i should have asked for a price.
Foxes, possibly the best quality work , but it comes at a price.
Either way SYH has had my money, best you pm me if you want info as I do not want a public slanging match.
Simon

Guise

Visit site
Three years ago had some major work needed under insurance. SYH inspected the work but never bothered to reply, Shotley were keen but pricey, Foxes surprised with an good price and got the job. They did a fantastic job, although I always seem to find their management attitude challenging.
. What I would say is that this was a summer job, when yards tend to be quieter and keen to win business. We had a couple of calls from Shotley offering price reductions, but too late.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Three years ago had some major work needed under insurance. SYH inspected the work but never bothered to reply, Shotley were keen but pricey, Foxes surprised with an good price and got the job. They did a fantastic job, although I always seem to find their management attitude challenging.
. What I would say is that this was a summer job, when yards tend to be quieter and keen to win business. We had a couple of calls from Shotley offering price reductions, but too late.

+1. When Gladys was T-boned on the mooring in 2006, she went to Fox's. The extensive repair was brilliant, (the hull split went from back end of saloon window, across the deck, and down the topsides to about 2ft above the waterline) and "most financially competitive" between the yards the Insurance company chose.