Registering an abandoned boat uksr

Refueler

Visit site
What surprises me more and more from reading threads as this one, quite a few members have taken on a similar task, well sort of similar. It seams to many new entrants, an easy way to enter sailing. You get a random boat. youve joined the club so to speak. During the refurb you learn all the ins and outs of boat maintenance, well to a fashion anyway. you learn the hard way how to avoid it costing a fortune and if your lucky you actually get on the water. How easy was that.
Far easier than joining some sailing club thats for sure. So like them or not, These old boats from days gone by really do play a crucial role in introducing people to the sport.
Steveeasy

Many of us are old enough to well remember the 'Before Cheque-Book' boat ownership.

When I see 'so-called' derelict / project boats offered ... many I see as similar to loads of boats people bought in those years and thought nothing of sorting them out.

Hundreds of grass field boat yards were full of owners / friends renovating their boats .... searching through the 'junk piles' ... eyeing up any bits and bobs .....

Refueler

Visit site
For the sea, you need nothing, but insurance is highly recommended. I would say essential. Imagine going into a marina with loads of expensive boats to hit without insurance - it's the stuff nightmares are made of.

I know that rarely do Marina's ask 'guest' boats to show Insurance ... but it is standard for Clubs and Marinas to require Insurance ... not only for any damage you may cause ... but also for 'Wreck Recovery' ...... that's why even Basic Boat has Wreck Recovery included.

William_H

Visit site
Perhaps a bit of fred drift but I met a guy on his bicycle over the weekend. I know him because he has a nice little 19ft Keel boat (Red Witch) on a mooring near mine. He asked "do i know anyone who would take on his boat for free". it would include the swing mooring. I know the local sea scouts would not be interested. They are often offered boats.
Anyway just in case anyone else on Swan river reads this and wants a boat (complete). cost around 400 squid a year minimum to own it. ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
I know the local sea scouts would not be interested. They are often offered boats.

When I lived in UK ... I was a 'helper' with local Scouts. My knowledge of ropes / knots etc was usefuj .... plus the wife was seriously involved.
Being a boat owner .. when I was changing from the Alacrity to the Snapdragon ... I offered the Alacrity to them. They politely refused explaining that the Rules and Req'ts made it an expensive and difficult matter with all the H&E obligations / insurance / liabilities etc.
Absolute shame .... when younger and a Sea Cadet - we had fantastic events with Whalers and ex Life-boats .....

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site

graham

Visit site
You may be able to source mast and sails through e bay etc where a similar size plywood boat has rotted away and they are selling the bits. I got a complete rig including a rudder mast sails etc like that once.

If sailing it on the sea then you dont have to be registered insured qualified or anything.3d party insurance is a very good idea though to protect yourself from financial disaster.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
If you do acquire a L17 mast, you can replace your mast step fitting with a piece of 'U'-section stainless steel channel, 12mm x 12mm x 12mm and about 4 inches long, if memory serves. Drill holes to suit the holes in the mast foot. The rearmost hole should be near the rear of the Channel, to allow the mast to pivot backwards when being lowered.
Be careful when raising and lowering the mast not to allow it to fall backwards onto the pulpit, as the top section will fracture and break off. Don't ask now I know this:(

ProDave

Visit site
If you do acquire a L17 mast, you can replace your mast step fitting with a piece of 'U'-section stainless steel channel, 12mm x 12mm x 12mm and about 4 inches long, if memory serves. Drill holes to suit the holes in the mast foot. The rearmost hole should be near the rear of the Channel, to allow the mast to pivot backwards when being lowered.
Be careful when raising and lowering the mast not to allow it to fall backwards onto the pulpit, as the top section will fracture and break off. Don't ask now I know this:(
Also with the L17 when lowering the mast you must catch it and support it before it gets to horizontal, otherwise the mast will come down onto the cabin hatch and probably destroy it. We have a wooden crutch to rest it in at a suitable level.

We raise and lower the mast each year with 3 people, 4 makes it more easier.

There were many different masts, and mast foot arrangements fitted to the L17 over the years so you can't design the mast foot until you have a mast. Also we are assuming the mast support post is still in the cabin?

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Also with the L17 when lowering the mast you must catch it and support it before it gets to horizontal, otherwise the mast will come down onto the cabin hatch and probably destroy it. We have a wooden crutch to rest it in at a suitable level.

There were many different masts, and mast foot arrangements fitted to the L17 over the years so you can't design the mast foot until you have a mast. Also we are assuming the mast support post is still in the cabin?
Your last sentence points up the fact that the OP would be well advised to do courses, get experience around other people's boats, so that he gets to recognise what to expect his boat to become and what "shipshape " looks like.

Refueler

Visit site

Why 3 ... 4 people for a mast that is not much more than a large dinghys ??

Myself and 10yr old son used to raise / lower mast on my Snap 23 ... a lot heavier / taller than a L17 .....

Even my real heavy mast on my SR25 only needs 3 people if i don't use A frame.

My 5.5m weekender - I actually do mast singlehanded ... and that does not pivot. I have to slack stays enough so I cam lift it vertically about 1" ... 2cm off the inverted U mount.

nQlTKMBl.jpg

Here you can just make out the U mount that mast foot sits over ...

zyNAwDql.jpg

The side stays and forestay being only slacked a touch - help control the head while I then rotate mast to put foot to the bow of boat. I do this on or off water ....

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Why 3 ... 4 people for a mast that is not much more than a large dinghys ??

Myself and 10yr old son used to raise / lower mast on my Snap 23 ... a lot heavier / taller than a L17 .....

Even my real heavy mast on my SR25 only needs 3 people if i don't use A frame.

My 5.5m weekender - I actually do mast singlehanded ... and that does not pivot. I have to slack stays enough so I cam lift it vertically about 1" ... 2cm off the inverted U mount.

nQlTKMBl.jpg

Here you can just make out the U mount that mast foot sits over ...

zyNAwDql.jpg

The side stays and forestay being only slacked a touch - help control the head while I then rotate mast to put foot to the bow of boat. I do this on or off water ....
It's not the weight, it's the inexperience of the OP.
I developed strategies for raising my L17 mast solo, with judicious use of ropes over the spreaders to prevent sideways motion. I also only ever did it on the trailer.

ProDave

Visit site
A previous boat we used to step the mast with just 2. That worked by using the winch on the trailer to pull the mast up and second person guiding it (and giving the initial lift)

With no winch we now have one person giving the mast the initial lift, second person pulling from up n the harbour wall, and third person guiding the mast (stopping it going sideways) I forgot the 4th person looking after the Genoa furling gear.

Jorge Matos

Visit site
Dear all,
I hope you are well and in good shape to help me with my query ;)
I found an abandoned yacht in a boatyard in Portugal. She has no papers and the boatyard master has no clue who´s the owner. So, I put my Sherlock hat and after a few weeks I found out that she is registered in BVI. I then contacted the registry and they are asking me for 150€ to have access to the paperwork or any info.
Before I spend that money I would like to know if the yacht belongs to a company that no longer exists can I still buy it?
Or if this company has some issues with the law, what can I do?
Also, the boatyard master is asking me a few thousands Euros for the yacht, can he really do this, even without a contract with the boat owner?
Thank you.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Dear all,
I found an abandoned yacht in a boatyard in Portugal. She has no papers and the boatyard master has no clue who´s the owner. So, I put my Sherlock hat and after a few weeks I found out that she is registered in BVI. I then contacted the registry and they are asking me for 150€ to have access to the paperwork or any info.
Before I spend that money I would like to know if the yacht belongs to a company that no longer exists can I still buy it?
Also, the boatyard master is asking me a few thousands Euros for the yacht, can he really do this, even without a contract with the boat owner?
Thank you.
As I understand it, Portuguese law forbids yards selling boats dumped there by owners. You are Portuguese? If so you know the law better than me. in the uk if the owner doesnt pay for storage, the yard can take over the boat after a while and sell it. Go and ask the GNR what they think?
Could be interesting.

Tranona

Visit site
Dear all,
Thank you.
Can't say with certainty what the law is in Portugal but in the UK there is a process where the boatyard can go to court and get a court order for possession of the boat on its premises. Once it gets this (which is not easy or cheap) it has clear title to sell the boat. This happens rarely as more often the yard gets the owner to transfer title to them in lieu of unpaid storage fees and then sells or scraps the boat.

I suspect of more concern in Portugal is whether you can actually register the boat for use without any paperwork. I suggest you pursue this before spending money on the registry transcript which will only tell you the last registered owner and the boat may well have changed hands without changing the registration.

In general abandoned boats are best left abandoned!