Refueling stops on the East Coast.

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
Planning a passage trip from Port Edgar (North Queensferry) to Portsmouth in a week or two. As far as I can determine there are not many places to pop in and get more fuel.
I have identified Newcastle and Lowestoft as two possibles but I would very much appreciate any further info. Perhaps many of you have experience of the East coast and can suggest other places where I can pop in and refill the diesel tank. Thank you.

sailingmartin

Visit site
Definitely Suffolk Yacht Haven near Felixstowe, Ramsgate and Grimsby. Possibly Amble, Hartlepool and Whitby. I’m sure others will confirm. Good luck.

bluejasper2

Visit site
Thank you for a prompt reply. At Whitby fuel has to be arranged in cans, Hartlepool has no indication of a fuel berth. The rest seem good, thank you.
hartlepool has a fuel berth on right hand side as you come through the lock,hope this helps.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
24hr diesel from fuel berth in Hartlepool Marina.

Diesel in Amble Marina, Tyne - Royal Quays Marina (access tidally restricted), and Sunderland, according to my out-of date Reeds Almanac.

Near Felixstowe/Harwich Shotley Marina is closer to the sea than Suffolk Yacht Harbour, but is through a lock gate (accessible and manned 24hrs). Fuel also available at Woolverstone Marina (hours?) and Fox's marina (restricted hours) yet further up the River Orwell than Suffolk Yacht Harbour

Continuing further round it gets easier, diesel at Ramsgate, Dover, Eastbourne, Newhaven (office hours?), and Brighton

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Diesel is easy on the E.Coast, I can add one place to the above: Scarborough have diesel in the dock, for fishing boats and not really set up for yachts but they were happy to sell me what I needed.
What boat and will you go in to the Wash havens? Check 1st, but there will surely be diesel in Lynn or Boston.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
24hr diesel from fuel berth in Hartlepool Marina.

Diesel in Amble Marina, Tyne - Royal Quays Marina (access tidally restricted), and Sunderland, according to my out-of date Reeds Almanac.

Near Felixstowe/Harwich Shotley Marina is closer to the sea than Suffolk Yacht Harbour, but is through a lock gate (accessible and manned 24hrs). Fuel also available at Woolverstone Marina (hours?) and Fox's marina (restricted hours) yet further up the River Orwell than Suffolk Yacht Harbour

Continuing further round it gets easier, diesel at Ramsgate, Dover, Eastbourne, Newhaven (office hours?), and Brighton
From memory I think the Royal Quays fuel is on a pontoon outside the lock gates, so no lock restrictions and an all-weather, deep water entry into the Tyne.

johnalison

Visit site
At Walton, Titchmarsh is an easy fuel stop. If you are working the tides you will be there at around HW and entry would be easy. It is about 1/2-3/4hr from The Harwich entrance, similar to Levington.

Dover is also easy and is available 24hrs, or at least was when I was last there.

LittleSister

Visit site
Dover is also easy and is available 24hrs, or at least was when I was last there.

I had to wait until the Dover fuel berth opened (though it was quite early, perhaps 6am) back in, IIRC, 2017.

I'd suggest a call to each of the places you're thinking you may refuel, just to check the up to date situation, especially in these uncertain times.

TLouth7

Visit site
From memory I think the Royal Quays fuel is on a pontoon outside the lock gates, so no lock restrictions and an all-weather, deep water entry into the Tyne.
That was true last August, and the fuel was also impressively cheap with great service! As was the whole marina setup, can thoroughly recommend.

Asking for fuel at Scarborough looked pretty intimidating, but then just finding someone to pay (and let us back onto the pontoons) was hard enough.

There must be some at Lowestoft.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Definitely Suffolk Yacht Haven near Felixstowe, Ramsgate and Grimsby. Possibly Amble, Hartlepool and Whitby. I’m sure others will confirm. Good luck.
Whilst I have refuelled & stopped in Grimsby for a few days in 2014 I have seen a notice that Grimsby no longer has room for visitors in their marina. is that really the case? If so it would mean a big detour to Hull.Of course I would expect one could refuel by the wind farm boats in front of the sailing club & leave immediately

LittleSister

Visit site
Of course I would expect one could refuel by the wind farm boats in front of the sailing club & leave immediately

That reminds me of coming back to Essex from the Netherlands in the 1980s, in company with a couple of other boats. One of them radioed us to say they were getting a bit low on fuel, so were diverting to blag a bit of diesel from the pirate radio ship that was anchored off somewhere out there. (I think one of the yacht's crew knew someone who worked on the ship, or supplying it.)