Refilling 4.5kg Butane

AndrewPalmer

Visit site
I hope I am not raking over old coals, but I have searched the archive, and can't find what I am looking for. There are several suggestions for refilling an empty Propane cylinder from a full one, YouTube videos of the same, and connector hoses for the purpose seem to be available.

I can't find anything for butane though. Is it the same principle that gas will flow from a full upturned cylinder into an empty one? I understand that the process for propane is improved by slightly warming the donor cylinder and cooling the receiver. Are there hose kits available for butane to butane?

Regards
Andrew

Mister E

Visit site
I hope I am not raking over old coals, but I have searched the archive, and can't find what I am looking for. There are several suggestions for refilling an empty Propane cylinder from a full one, YouTube videos of the same, and connector hoses for the purpose seem to be available.

I can't find anything for butane though. Is it the same principle that gas will flow from a full upturned cylinder into an empty one? I understand that the process for propane is improved by slightly warming the donor cylinder and cooling the receiver. Are there hose kits available for butane to butane?

Regards
Andrew
The principal is the same just don't overfill. I weigh the empty bottle first and write that weight on the bottle in permanent marker.
Then for that size I would add 4 kg giving a total weight.

Unfortunately I can't do links on my phone to the connections for this but a Web search for the 2 bottle sizes should work.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Here a tip , put the empty bottle in a cold place before filling , or put ice pack on the bottle if you can’t do that turn bottle up side down and let out some gas is will make the bottle cold then fill , (WEAR GLOVE )
if you try and fill a warm bottle you be a longtime filling it .

Daverw

Visit site

Regards
Andrew
Exactly the same, the upturned bottle allows liquid gas to drop into the lower bottle, pressure will equalise if both bottles are the same temp, either warm the feed bottle or cool the filling one to help it alone. Very simple once you’ve don’t it, as said just make sure you weigh the filling bottle and keep a close eye on it. you will have time as it takes around 20minutes to complete a 4kg fill.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Filled an empty 4.5 kg butane cylinder yesterday. Here's a few tips:-
  1. Do it outside away from any potential sources of ignition.
  2. Use digital scales as they have better resolution than mechanical types. (yes, I know digital scales are not Ex rated)
  3. Make certain the 4.5 kg bottle is in fact empty.
  4. Purge the fill hose with gas before you begin filling to get rid of air and, perhaps more importantly, moisture.
  5. If donor cylinder is the same temperature as the empty cylinder it will take ages. Wrap a towel round the donor cylinder and pour some hot water over it. Still took me 25 minutes.
  6. Shut off the donor cylinder first and wait a while before closing the valve on the now full 4.5 kg cylinder. This to minimise the venting of liquid butane when you disconnect.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have had confirmation recently that the floating/sinking bottle method works for Camping Gaz 907 and for Calor 4.5 kg bottles. On filling the bottle floating in fresh water it will sink at the recommended 80% full limit. Not very convenient for liveaboards perhaps but can be useful on land.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I have had confirmation recently that the floating/sinking bottle method works for Camping Gaz 907 and for Calor 4.5 kg bottles. On filling the bottle floating in fresh water it will sink at the recommended 80% full limit. Not very convenient for liveaboards perhaps but can be useful on land.

I'd not heard of that technique. Interesting.

Stemar

Visit site
Resurrecting this thread because I asked SOCAL in Southampton to email me when they got 4.5kg butane bottles back in stock.

I just had the email to let me know. I've since moved on to 7kg bottles but, if you need one, they're there.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
By using a £20 connecting pipe and a 15kg Propane donor bottle-£50 at Didcot Calor and Paving-I easily fill my 3.9 orange propane cylinders. £12.50 a fill.

Last season I only used self filled bottles.

The 'negative bouyancy in water' works a treat, plus the water cools the recieving cylinder, assisting the transfer. I do it outside on a sunny day. Wrapping the donor cylinder in a large black bin liner gently heats the donor, making the transfer quicker.

Bye Bye rip off Calor.....................................................

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
By using a £20 connecting pipe and a 15kg Propane donor bottle-£50 at Didcot Calor and Paving-I easily fill my 3.9 orange propane cylinders. £12.50 a fill.

Last season I only used self filled bottles.

The 'negative bouyancy in water' works a treat, plus the water cools the recieving cylinder, assisting the transfer. I do it outside on a sunny day. Wrapping the donor cylinder in a large black bin liner gently heats the donor, making the transfer quicker.

Bye Bye rip off Calor.....................................................
Even cheaper if your doner is 47Kg