Red or white in 2009? Diesel, not wine!

Krusty

Visit site
A serious question:
Come October 2008, marinas will presumably clear their tanks and be ready to supply white diesel, but what about those of us who cruise coastlines far from marinas? We sometimes have to resort to power and run down reserves. That may well leave us with the choice of sailing on with low reserves (unseamanlike) or refuelling at a fishing harbour, where it will be red (illegal).
The only other option is to carry ample empty cannisters (where, in a small yacht?!) ; organise transport (in a remote village?!) ; and go to the nearest garage (could be a 50-mile round trip!!)
I have a feeling that this kind of situation, which I flagged up to the RYA during the consultation period, may be why our government did not immediately fall in line with Europe (for once!)
Meantime, are they just sitting on their thumbs and hoping such problems will fade away?
Does anyone know of anything moving in a helpful direction?

flaming

Visit site
I though the suggestion was that all marine diesel would be white, and the fishermen would claim the tax back. Is this not the case?

billskip

Visit site
Methinks this opens up a new market for fishermen...(They will all be using a hell of a lot more diesel /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) can see it now ...big white state of the art boats rafted up to rusty old fishing boats "just for a chat" /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bobobolinsky

Visit site
In general red used to be safe from the Dids, but now you boat will be open season. Got a locking fuel cap John? They will need the additional money to pay customs officers to come round and dip your tanks

R

Other threads that may be of interest