Red Ensign Broker

Irish Rover

Visit site
I received a marketing email today from Red Ensign brokers in Falmouth. I never heard of them before and I've certainly never contacted them. I'm curious how they got my email address. Is it legal in the UK to send unsolicited marketing emails?

johnalison

Visit site
I know nothing about them but I occasionally get marketing emails from sailing-related companies such as Adlard Coles. I presume they get my address from people I deal with such as YBW but I just stop-follow the ones I don’t want to see. There are laws about cold-calling but spam and marketing I think are something we have to live with.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I know nothing about them but I occasionally get marketing emails from sailing-related companies such as Adlard Coles. I presume they get my address from people I deal with such as YBW but I just stop-follow the ones I don’t want to see. There are laws about cold-calling but spam and marketing I think are something we have to live with.
My understanding was it's illegal to send marketing emails unless the recipient had given consent. Are you saying YBW, for instance, can sell my email address to 3rd parties?

johnalison

Visit site
My understanding was it's illegal to send marketing emails unless the recipient had given consent. Are you saying YBW, for instance, can sell my email address to 3rd parties?
I can't say that YBW do specifically, but in my case someone does and it always relates to sailing. It is only a few sail-related sites, so it doesn't concern me but I realise that spam generally is a big problem. I imagine that it is illegal, but appears impossible to police. The providers do a good job in filtering it out, though some malicious stuff occasionally gets through. In the case of phone calls, there is a let-out I believe in that any company that you have had any dealings with in the past may contact you.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
The ways of the internet are deeply mysterious. Facebook has long included sailing clips in "Reels and short videos" compilations (amongst piano music and other topics). This morning there was a clip of an Italian waterspout; where did that come from?

RunAgroundHard

Visit site

You have to opt in and if you have not ticked the box stopping YBW or their partners offering you information, then you only have yourself to blame. This is common knowledge. Businesses can trade personal information within certain parameters, again, an opt out stops them from doing this.

You can email them and inform them of your wishes.

Irish Rover

Visit site
You have to opt in and if you have not ticked the box stopping YBW or their partners offering you information, then you only have yourself to blame. This is common knowledge. Businesses can trade personal information within certain parameters, again, an opt out stops them from doing this.

You can email them and inform them of your wishes.
Only myself to blame :unsure:. Common knowledge :unsure:.
So are you saying Red Ensign is a "partner" of YBW.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Businesses, in the UK, need the individuals consent to trade personal data. However, there are organizations that mine public data sources to obtain personal data to trade.

In the UK if Irish Rover contacts YBW they have to tell him what data they hold and how it is used. IR can tell them to opt out.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Only myself to blame :unsure:. Common knowledge :unsure:.
So are you saying Red Ensign is a "partner" of YBW.

Yes, it is common knowledge. You assume it is YBW that has passed on your information, so you have let them, therefore blame yourself. Of course there could have been a data breach at YBW but they are obliged to tell you if that happens. I have no idea about YBW partners.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Yes, it is common knowledge. You assume it is YBW that has passed on your information, so you have let them, therefore blame yourself. Of course there could have been a data breach at YBW but they are obliged to tell you if that happens. I have no idea about YBW partners.
I'm not assuming anything, and I didn't say it was YBW who passed on my information.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I've emailed red-ensign to ask where they got my email address from, and I've reported my OP to the powers that be on here, and asked if YBW shared my email address.

dunedin

Visit site
I received a marketing email today from Red Ensign brokers in Falmouth. I never heard of them before and I've certainly never contacted them. I'm curious how they got my email address. Is it legal in the UK to send unsolicited marketing emails?
As you are based in Turkey, any marketeer who has bought your data is entirely free of EU and UK marketing restrictions.

Irish Rover

Visit site
As you are based in Turkey, any marketeer who has bought your data is entirely free of EU and UK marketing restrictions.
I'm not entirely convinced that is the case but, in any event, it seems to me they'd have to go to a lot of trouble to determine where everyone lives and to filter in/out non EU and/or UK residents.