Recommend me a masthead tricolour / anchor light

Medway Matt

Visit site
Hi All

We're having a new mast fitted out and are looking at options for the masthead light.

We used to have an Aquasignal unit with incandescent bulbs, which worked fine, but times have changed and it seems silly not to enjoy the benefits of LEDs. I've had a look at the Aquasignal 34 which looks a fairly sensible bit of kit but has had some reports of failures on this site, though that was a while ago so the issue may have been rectified since, have also the Nasa Supernova which has superior sealing against ingress at IP67 and favourable reviews but I don't really like the idea of the power cable being joined in-line as this could be a failure point.

Given the inaccessibility of the light we obviously want something reliable but aren't keen on spending silly money either. so what do you recommend?

laika

Visit site
I have an aquasignal tricolour+anchor. It might be the 34...whatever it was it was the current model slightly over a decade ago when it was fitted (when LED lights were still a bit swish).

It's just worked. Still does.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Some will no doubt disagree, but... Just put LED bulbs (from a reputable 'boaty' source, e.g.: boatlamps.co.uk) in your existing fitting, and save some plastic from landfill/production at the same time!

I agree in principle, but...

• Old lights tend to get faded. The color rendition is no longer true.
  • The corrode. You can clean the contacts, but new is better. Sealed LED units are much better.
  • Replacement bulbs MUST have the filament in the EXACT same position or the lens will not focus correctly. I've seen examples where it was pleanty bright, but no longer focused in the correct plane or range of angles.
So I would go with a new light designed for LEDs from the ground up. There are some inexpensive ones.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't have a masthead anchor light. One nearer to the eye- level of a potential observer is more likely to be seen.

Absolutely. No one needs to see your anchor light from miles off, it's needed where it can be seen by other boats arriving at the anchorage in the dark, or people in ever faster dinghies coming back from the pub. Both have their sight line directly ahead and are not staring up at the sky trying to differentiate between masthead anchor lights and the stars. Low and bright!

RivalRedwing

Visit site
A new Aquasignal, take out the filament bulbs and replace with the correct LEDs from Boatlamps or similar. More options should a replacement bulb be needed. Replacement of the whole unit seems to be the only option with a bespoke LED masthead unit.

Medway Matt

Visit site
I agree in principle, but...

• The corrode. You can clean the contacts, but new is better. Sealed LED units are much better.
  • Replacement bulbs MUST have the filament in the EXACT same position or the lens will not focus correctly. I've seen examples where it was pleanty bright, but no longer focused in the correct plane or range of angles.
So I would go with a new light designed for LEDs from the ground up. There are some inexpensive ones.

Agreed. There's also the colour output of the LED to consider as many have a pretty limited spectrum with fairly narrow band peaks, from memory it's something like loads of blue and a fair bit of green for cool white LEDs and largely green and yellow for warm white LEDs and not a lot else for either. This'll effect the light output and colour rendition for lenses designed for use with incandescent bulbs, the output of which steadily ramps up to the red end of the visible spectrum (and into IR for that matter).

Medway Matt

Visit site
I should probably add that our old masthead light was immersed to a depth of several meters and while it could be cleaned up and reused, it's fairly old and has seen better days and hence the desire for a replacement.

Thanks all for your input so far.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Agreed. There's also the colour output of the LED to consider as many have a pretty limited spectrum with fairly narrow band peaks, from memory it's something like loads of blue and a fair bit of green for cool white LEDs and largely green and yellow for warm white LEDs and not a lot else for either. This'll effect the light output and colour rendition for lenses designed for use with incandescent bulbs, the output of which steadily ramps up to the red end of the visible spectrum (and into IR for that matter).
Appropriate LEDs are red green and white coloured in the relevant thirds and the pins matched to the orientation of the (named) lamp housing

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I fitted replacement led bulbs in my Aquasignal masthead tricolour when the mast was down a few years ago. There was no anchor light so I just use an Aldi led lantern hung in the foretriangle, fitted a light sensor so it goes on & off with the light levels. Works well and a pair of AA batteries seem to last several nights in the summer.

doug748

Visit site
I would also get a conventional lamp and use an LED bulb.

Sadly I got an inexpensive LED array last year and it lasted half an hour, my chum has had three expensive ones in 10 years so not a great record there either. If you get one make sure you fit it in a manner that's easy to replace.

If you go down the conventional bayonet fitting route these are excellent:

Perko 0200 Tricolour Port Starboard Stern 12V Navigation Light

The one on my mast was over 25 years in use and the lens is still crystal clear, my deck level Aqua Signals are all hopelessly frosted.

laika

Visit site

Plus...

Rather than replace the whole masthead unit I originally bought a fancy searolf LED to replace the incandescent anchor light. It was the right fitting but the physical difference in shape meant it didn't fit in the (possibly Lazilas?) holder. I ended up buying a new LED tricolour (but note to self: that bulb wasn't cheap...need to find it and stick it in the "for sale" section...)