Reassurance?

lindsay

Visit site
After just over 22 years as a full time liveaboard, I need an operation for cataracts in both eyes. Anyone had this done and continued fulltime sailing? Any tips or "with hindsight" advice? Having just got to 84, I realise I may be pushing the limits a bit, but see no reason to stop until I really, really have to.

Thanks in advance

Poignard

Visit site
After just over 22 years as a full time liveaboard, I need an operation for cataracts in both eyes. Anyone had this done and continued fulltime sailing? Any tips or "with hindsight" advice? Having just got to 84, I realise I may be pushing the limits a bit, but see no reason to stop until I really, really have to.

Thanks in advance
I am delighted to hear you are still sailing in your eighties.

I had cataract operations in both eyes several years ago and I am still sailing and nearing 80.

Today I had an eye test and examination, and no problems detected.

Pavalijo

Visit site
My mum had cataracts removed from both eyes. Her eyesight is now amazing and her only problem is that she is more light sensitive so wears sunglasses more often and some yellow tinted glasses to prevent glare when driving at night.
She’s 87.

nortada

Visit site

Thanks in advance

I had both my eyes done a couple of years ago, no down side. The operations are painless and the improvement in vision immediate and amazing.

Subsequently, it has placed no limitations on my lifestyle - quite the contrary.

Best of luck and keep on sailing.

Skysail

Visit site
The only thing to be aware of is that your eyes will be perfect for distance, but you would need glasses for close work. So you need to make sure you know where they are. Other wise a great improvement.

One thing I did not know is that the new lenses protect against UV light.

nortada

Visit site
The only thing to be aware of is that your eyes will be perfect for distance, but you would need glasses for close work. So you need to make sure you know where they are. Other wise a great improvement.

One thing I did not know is that the new lenses protect against UV light.

When you go to ‘get your new eyes’ you will be asked about your life style and offered suitable lenses. As a sailor I have infinity lenses, which are ideal for middle and long distance but I use 2.5 reading glasses. These I get from the Pound Shop.

Initially, post op, I continued to suffer with glare but this got better with time as the eyes became accustomed to the higher light level.

Don’t think new lenses offer any protection against UV and unfortunately have done nothing for my dyslexia.?

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
This won't tell you much about sailing, lindsay, but it might whet your anticipation even more. My mother-in-law's first words after coming home from her cataract op were "what have you done to my carpets?!"** A wonderful thing to experience, even second-hand. Good luck.

** You'll understand this later, if you don't now.

Tim Good

Visit site

Thanks in advance

Sorry can’t help with the question but hats off to you for your attitude! We salute you!

OldBawley

Visit site
I had one eye done in Greece in 1993.

It would have been possible to have the new lens in the Netherlands, but that would have meant half a year staying in Holland. Examinations, the clinical surgery, hospital and after care.

Also, there is huge waiting list in Holland.

So when anchored in Greece, I went to see an eye doctor who had a new practice just 300 meters from where I was anchoring. Two or three consultations, no waiting list.

We decided to have one eye done. I took a fast ferry to Piraeus, The surgeon was waiting there for me, took me in his car to the brand new eye clinic in Athens. Fifteen minutes later I was in the operation chair, an other 10 minutes later the surgery was finished. There was an anaesthetist present, just in case, I had to pay for him even i was not anaesthetized except for some drops in my eye.

Ten minutes later the surgeon brought me back to the ferry harbour Piraeus.

There I had almost an hour to kill before the ferry departed so I went shopping in town, just minutes before the Flying dolphin cast off I had to make a rather long run to catch it. That was roughly 1,5 h after the surgery.

All of that is no good aftercare, still, the eye was good until now. Need to have the other eye done as well now. I was 61 at the time.

I paid myself for everything, my Dutch health insurance was extremely difficult, later paid me 75 % back. The same procedure in Holland would have cost at least 4 X more.

As an aside, the surgeon was a public health care surgeon for many years, the surgery is free for Greeks, he sometimes did ten patients a day. My case was a " Black " operation.

I have been for some other problems in both Dutch and Greek care, can only say that the Greek doctors have a lot more time for you and are at least as competent. The equipment… that is 20 years behind.

lindsay

Visit site
F
Your welcome.

So when/where will the first op be❓

Best of luck✔
I had one eye done in Greece in 1993.

It would have been possible to have the new lens in the Netherlands, but that would have meant half a year staying in Holland. Examinations, the clinical surgery, hospital and after care.

Also, there is huge waiting list in Holland.

So when anchored in Greece, I went to see an eye doctor who had a new practice just 300 meters from where I was anchoring. Two or three consultations, no waiting list.

We decided to have one eye done. I took a fast ferry to Piraeus, The surgeon was waiting there for me, took me in his car to the brand new eye clinic in Athens. Fifteen minutes later I was in the operation chair, an other 10 minutes later the surgery was finished. There was an anaesthetist present, just in case, I had to pay for him even i was not anaesthetized except for some drops in my eye.

Ten minutes later the surgeon brought me back to the ferry harbour Piraeus.

There I had almost an hour to kill before the ferry departed so I went shopping in town, just minutes before the Flying dolphin cast off I had to make a rather long run to catch it. That was roughly 1,5 h after the surgery.

All of that is no good aftercare, still, the eye was good until now. Need to have the other eye done as well now. I was 61 at the time.

I paid myself for everything, my Dutch health insurance was extremely difficult, later paid me 75 % back. The same procedure in Holland would have cost at least 4 X more.

As an aside, the surgeon was a public health care surgeon for many years, the surgery is free for Greeks, he sometimes did ten patients a day. My case was a " Black " operation.

I have been for some other problems in both Dutch and Greek care, can only say that the Greek doctors have a lot more time for you and are at least as competent. The equipment… that is 20 years behind.
fi
Your welcome.

So when/where will the first op be❓

Best of luck✔

Pavalijo

Visit site
I forgot to say - my mum was very pleased with her improved eyesight but was very disappointed when she looked in the mirror and said “I had no idea how wrinkly I am”! So be prepared!

JerryHawkins

Visit site
I'm a fair bit younger and have had one eye done so far. This is set for distance vision, my other eye still being fairly good and working better for short distances. When I have the other done I'm not sure if I may keep it that way. You lose stereo vision but get used to it and it means without glasses you have reasonable vision at all ranges. Still need glasses for fine work. Discuss this with your surgeon perhaps.The colours were what I noticed first after the op - much more vibrant. Op itself was entirely pain free and very quick - about 15 minutes. You won't regret it :)

Pavalijo

Visit site
I'm a fair bit younger and have had one eye done so far. This is set for distance vision, my other eye still being fairly good and working better for short distances. When I have the other done I'm not sure if I may keep it that way. You lose stereo vision but get used to it and it means without glasses you have reasonable vision at all ranges.

My wife wears contact lenses - one set for distance and the other for reading. Her optician said that this works well for some people but not others - works fine for her except when she puts them in the wrong way around!

lindsay

Visit site
I forgot to say - my mum was very pleas
ed with her improved eyesight but was very disappointed when she looked in the mirror and said “I had no idea how wrinkly I am”! So be prepared!
[/Q
I'm a fair bit younger and have had one eye done so far. This is set for distance vision, my other eye still being fairly good and working better for short distances. When I have the other done I'm not sure if I may keep it that way. You lose stereo vision but get used to it and it means without glasses you have reasonable vision at all ranges. Still need glasses for fine work. Discuss this with your surgeon perhaps.The colours were what I noticed first after the op - much more vibrant. Op itself was entirely pain free and very quick - about 15 minutes. You won't regret it :)
fi
After just over 22 years as a full time liveaboard, I need an operation for cataracts in both eyes. Anyone had this donand continued fulltime sailing? Any tips or "with hindsight" advice? Having just got to 84, I realise I may be pushing the limits a bit, but see no reason to stop until I really, really have to.

Thanks in advance

davidej

Visit site
For the past couple of seasons I would have my skipper saying something like "pass to port of that buoy " and I would reply "what buoy?- I can't see one."
I have now had both eyes done. Very simple and painless and I am looking forward to actually seeing navigation marks this summer

lindsay

Visit site
fii
fs
For the past couple of seasons I would have my skipper saying something like "pass to port of that buoy " and I would reply "what buoy?- I can't see one."
I have now had both eyes done. Very simple and painless and I am looking forward to actually seeing navigation marks this summer
First operation in mid March. Many thanks again to all for all the info. Very encouraging! Will go for infinity lenses and Poundland for reading with multiple pairs left in strategic locations. I will also try and avoid running for a ferry one and a half hours after the operation.