Re-packing stern glands

scubaman

Visit site
Being new to shaft driven boats I'm not familiar with the process of re-packing worn-out stern glands. How big a job it is? Is it possible to do it wrong eg. to mess up the alignment (I should think not) or something else that would result in vibrations or other unwanted side effects?

What about afterwards; when shafts start weeping, one presumably tightens the glands? Is there any magic in doing that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated again!

Talking about KAMD300's on a Sealine.

celtic_mist

Visit site
I DID IT LAST SUMMER WHILE BOAT WAS OUT!
TOOK A WHILE TO REMOVE OLD PACKING , USED A
LONG SCREW - WORKED WELL (BUT VERY SLOW)
RE-PACKED IT WITH PLENTY OF WATERPROOF GREECE ! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
Our advice in most cases is don't use grease in a stern gland, teflon impregnated packing material, or traditional works as effectively with water as a lubricant. This way the bearings behind can also run in water without the problems associated with grease on the bearing surface. Its all to do with heat and grease is not the best conductor.

Stern glands will drip in use, but their sealing and lubricating properties come from being impregnated with water, it also conducts heat.

Dismantling the stern gland and re fitting will not effect alignment. The alignment is between the engine and the bearings which will not be moved.