Re-engine. is it worth it.

drewstwos

Visit site
HI all

Being a bit on the old side, like my boat. I need some advice on what to do. The boat is c 30 years old. but the hull and all the rest are now as good as I can get afer a full winters work. However, the engine is a Perkins 50 hp diesel and though this is mega cheap to run .. a gallon an hour max she is just too slow for my area. 6 odd kts... a semi desp hull at SD speed. She would do about 14/15 kts with a bigger engine. Why she was re engined with this little one I don't know. So my question is this.
Would the cost of putting say 150 horses in there have to be written off in the event of an eventual sale... AS this must someday happen. I am thinking of a recon engine not a NEW one as that is totally out of the cash reserves limit. or would that expense be added on to the value of the boat. In other words would a £12k boat then be worth say £17k ?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Drew.

omega2

Visit site
It would be worth what some one is willing to give you for it, and then if it is slow and frugal it may sell well, or if it is quick and thirsty again it may not sell. If you send the transport, I will give you a ford 150 head and block, all you have to do is get it marinised and running. 4.9 liters 6 cylinder.

smileygirl

fuelock.co.uk
I think it depends a little on the boat. The engine does sound a little small even for river use. I wouldn't take it anywhere tidal as estuaries and tidal rivers can have strong currents. I would think it would increase your chances of selling in future just because it has a new or reconditioned engine. Also if you keep the boat another 5 years or so you have spent £1K a year (£20 a week) worst case if the sales price doesn't match up to investment.

Rabbit

Visit site
Hi Drew,
If your boat had been rigged as you suggest.
Would you have bought it? For the new price?

Is it what YOU want?

My boat has twin 180`s
I’ve put off the re-engine option until the fuel situation was decided.

Now that’s clear, I still think it’s an option.
It would be one hell of a boat.

But, Can I afford it?

Or would anyone else fancy it?

I don’t know if my ramblings make any sense.
But I hope it helps.
Kind regards,
Les.