Re-engine for Mac wester 28

Moonfish

Visit site
Having finally sold my des res in the UK, i am now in the position to set off to the med via the French canals, however the venerable 9Hp volvo in my macwester 28 struggles at the most to push her along at a good rate.

What size of engine would be best to replace it with, and which of the modern makes are best ?

Any opinions would be greatfully received.

tritonofnor

Visit site
Take a look at the new Nanni 10 - twin cylinder freshwater cooled, and very compact. The larger Nannis are good value too - probably something around the 15-25 hp range would give you hull speed witha bit in reserve. Try Marine Wise in Plymouth - they'll talk you through the options. .

Moonfish

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Take a look at the new Nanni 10 - twin cylinder freshwater cooled, and very compact. The larger Nannis are good value too - probably something around the 15-25 hp range would give you hull speed witha bit in reserve. Try Marine Wise in Plymouth - they'll talk you through the options. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks will give them a call and shoot down and see them as they aren't too far away.

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Rowana is a Macwester Rowan 8 meter and fitted with the 13.5hp Beta engine as described by Steve.

It's pushed me along for many a mile, and is reasonable easy to work on.

That would be my choice again.

Moonfish

Visit site
Many thanks for all your responses.

Was also thinking that for that extra grunt needed 20hp would be necessary for the canals etc. Will let you know how it goes.