Raymarine Evolution tillerpilot won’t hold course

Daverw

Visit site
I originally did not have rudder sensor but found a way to add a couple of years ago, ice got tiller with no access to rudder post. What I did was fit the rudder sensor below in the void below and run a stainless cable ( cycle cable) to it through a ptfe cable tube, this came out just next to the tiller post, then I wrapped it round the top of the rudder post, when I turn tiller to port this pulls the sensor up and as the raymarine sensor is sprung return this keeps the cable tight for turns to starboard.

Very simple and just works, not effected by lifting tiller up either.

Now I’m just about to fit the b&g sensor which is not sprung return and will have to add either bungee cord or spring. I have not had time to test if the raymarine sensor will actually work with the nac2 as this can also take an analogue sensor

Daverw

Visit site
Thanks Daverw!
Have you got a rudder position sensor? The B&G commissioning manual says that I can’t use Virtual Rudder Feedback with sail mode, and there’s no way to mount a below deck position sensor on this boat
VRF does work in sail mode as my mate has just installed his b&g system and this is how he is using it, we’ve just done 3 weeks sailing and it has worked well.

Daverw

Visit site
Top of quarterberth shelf, just below the side deck. Well away from engine, wiring, compasses.
It’s in a very similar position, just further aft, to where the ZG100 heading sensor lives - and it works just fine.
Ours was similar position and it struggled, loads better nearer centre of boat, don’t forget the EV1 and the ZG100 seem to be very diffent beasts, our zg100 was under rear side deck and works fine. The boats motion underway is very diffent in rear cabin as opposed to under mast

Red Panda

Visit site
Ours was similar position and it struggled, loads better nearer centre of boat, don’t forget the EV1 and the ZG100 seem to be very diffent beasts, our zg100 was under rear side deck and works fine. The boats motion underway is very diffent in rear cabin as opposed to under mast
I have a keel stepped mast 😆

Red Panda

Visit site
Ours is on a small wooden bracket I made just above table height that is on the front face of the compression post / mast
I can come up with something. I purposely didn’t finalise anything wiring in csse things needed moved around.
I’ve now pretty much decided that the EV1 ad ACU100 will get replaced with B&G this winter, but it’d be good if the Raymarine stuff will play nice for long enough to allow me to get the boat to its new home.

Daverw

Visit site
You may find the the B&G compass will still like to be in a better position, both are nmea2k so I just swapped the connector.

Also I was told by our local raymarine dealer that their are software updates to both EV1 and ACU100 which can only be done via a raymarine MFD which may have solved my issue, but again more cost and I had already decided to swap out as you have, got a really good deal from Hudson Marine

Now contemplating fitting SD10 cable drive to tiller as this has both built in rudder ref and also drive clutch so can be permanently fitting and out of the way under side deck

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Top of quarterberth shelf, just below the side deck. Well away from engine, wiring, compasses.
It’s in a very similar position, just further aft, to where the ZG100 heading sensor lives - and it works just fine.
That's wrong. The EV1 sensor isn't just a fluxgate, it's a 9 axis sensor, it needs to be where the fitting instructions say.

Red Panda

Visit site
That's wrong. The EV1 sensor isn't just a fluxgate, it's a 9 axis sensor, it needs to be where the fitting instructions say.
The instructions say it must be aligned with the vessel’s longitudinal axis, level, and away from magnetic influence or cables. No mention of it being down low or on the centreline of the boat. I very carefully followed the instructions.

Logically, I don’t think the EV1 location is the cause of my “sawing” problem, this happens in dead calm conditions, under motor, as well as during more lively sailing. I’ll move it anyway, if that fixes it I’ll be delighted.

Red Panda

Visit site
You may find the the B&G compass will still like to be in a better position, both are nmea2k so I just swapped the connector.

Also I was told by our local raymarine dealer that their are software updates to both EV1 and ACU100 which can only be done via a raymarine MFD which may have solved my issue, but again more cost and I had already decided to swap out as you have, got a really good deal from Hudson Marine

Now contemplating fitting SD10 cable drive to tiller as this has both built in rudder ref and also drive clutch so can be permanently fitting and out of the way under side deck
Thanks again, your experience of having already done this is very helpful.
I realised I can’t do software updates without a Raymarine MFD, I was hoping to borrow one, but it’s another reason to swap it out.

Daverw

Visit site
A thing to note is that I’ve just sold the raymarine stuff and got over half my money back over what I paid.
The B&G swap only took 4 hours last Friday and most of that was extending backbone to rear cabin to allow for rudder ref which is nmea2k, NAC power, ram power and nmea all from existing. Also fitted triton 2 display to replace p70s that needed a square hole.

Dock side setup took less than two minutes. Was going to add small button panel but not doing this now as also found out you can just add switch to enable and disable

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The instructions say it must be aligned with the vessel’s longitudinal axis, level, and away from magnetic influence or cables. No mention of it being down low or on the centreline of the boat. I very carefully followed the instructions.

Logically, I don’t think the EV1 location is the cause of my “sawing” problem, this happens in dead calm conditions, under motor, as well as during more lively sailing. I’ll move it anyway, if that fixes it I’ll be delighted.
Not saying it'll fix it, but it measures heel, pitch, yaw etc, so having it up high exaggerates things.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I know you're right about what it says in the manual, but I believe it has been reported that this makes a big difference.

I'm surprised that I can find few references to this online, but I believe a user of the form relocated their EV-1 closer to the keel and reported it made a big difference.

Raymarine: [DG11] Position of EV-1 Sensor

mrming

instagram.com
Not saying it'll fix it, but it measures heel, pitch, yaw etc, so having it up high exaggerates things.
Mine’s in a wardrobe on the starboard side, just forward of midships, reasonably high up. It was installed by a previous owner and it works well. I did however once see this behaviour (yawing wildly), when I’d foolishly put a small metal radiator in said wardrobe.

Red Panda

Visit site
I know you're right about what it says in the manual, but I believe it has been reported that this makes a big difference.

I'm surprised that I can find few references to this online, but I believe a user of the form relocated their EV-1 closer to the keel and reported it made a big difference.

Raymarine: [DG11] Position of EV-1 Sensor
I sailed on one boat that has it in a under seat locker, midships, near waterline, and several posters here are reporting on it being needed - but it isn’t in the instructions!
I’ve been reading the B&G Precision9 installation manual, which *does* say “install close to waterline”. So I’ll try to find a better spot for the EV1, then I can reuse that when I upgrade 😄