Ranger 36

Paul_Bridle

Visit site
Are there any other Ranger 36 owners out there? I am particularly interested in speed achieved with the standard engines (210 Sabres), fuel consumption and the prop size used. Would also be interested in swopping any other information on these boats.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Nope! Not an owner but can tell you this. When new the 36 (actually 35' 8") could do 26 knots (22 knots cruising) with the reccomended 210s. After all these years plus all the added weight etc. You are probably looking at 18 knots cruise and 22 knots flat out.
Sorry! I cannot give you the prop specs.

<font color=red> ô¿ô</font color=red>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm>http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm</A>[/b]

miket

Visit site
Chap called John Skuse owned one until recently, called Cavallino.
Said it was a nice boat but a bit wet.

His son Gurraint Skuse, used to work at B A Peters in Chichester. May be worth a phone call.

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Northshore Ranger 36

Went to look at one of those down in Brighton marina.A beautiful heavy duty boat.The boat had very low hours twin 300 hp engines and had done some time in the Gulf.At some time it had a large search light hole cut into the bow. It needed a bit more work than I was prepared to do.Think there are a couple more up here on the Medway.

Just hold tight dear it will not be so rough when we get round the corner,trust me.

Paul_Bridle

Visit site
MarkC

Yes I would appreciate any info. I can only do about 16 Knots, with reconditioned engines, but I think it is overpropped. Would like to know the correct prop size.

Paul

byron

RIP
Visit site
Most prop makers will tell you what sizes required if you give them the full spec on your boat.

<font color=red> ô¿ô</font color=red>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm>http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm</A>[/b]

micsic

Visit site
Just bought one - only expected about twenty knots but would be interested in anything you found out if you are still an owner

MystereMarcus

Visit site
micsic (& Paul if still an owner),
My family owned one for 13 years. As said, great sea boats but do tend to be a bit wet (make sure your wipers are in good order and the windscreen washers work!).
We would get 26 knots max with the Sabre 210's and cruise at 20 to 22.
Which one do you have?
As has been said there are a few on the Medway and the rest are dotted around the country. (I think there were around 26 made).
If you check out the Dell Quay Owners club site (http://www.dellquayranger.supanet.com/) there is a small section on the 36 and the start of a register.
Please feel free to PM me for any more information.
Marcus.

Last edited:

andrewbarker

Visit site
I owned a Ranger 36 between 2002 & 2008. It was the one Oldgit saw in Brighton & he's right, it had 300hp Sabres. He's right - it did come from Dubai with an "interesting" history.

I think these are beautiful boats, but they are problematic. The real problem is that they are have a true deep V hull all the way to the stern with no planing flats. Therefore they don't generate nearly as much lift as you'd expect. They are also heavy (mine was 9.75 tonnes in the slings). So, even with my 300hp engines, if you pressed on, you got a huge bow up shenanigan. If you used enough tab to bring down the nose, the thing started to ride on the keel & get unstable.
I fitted two extra fixed tabs & this helped the stern lift. I can tell you that 2200 rpm gave about 22 knots and flat out about 26. But this was with a completely clean bottom. Any slime or shell and forget it - you'd be back to 18 knots with your nose in the air.

There are two ways to get this boat stable & moving well. One is to get rid of every scrap of weight from midships aft. I had a 4 cyl genny and huge batteries. If you have no genny and go and buy lightweight batteries, you would do no end of good.
The other way is to have 2"x4" timbers bolted to the topsides at the turn of the chine from the stern forward about 10 feet. These would give you the lift you really need and I reckon the boat would then be good (even with 210s) for 26 knots.

One last thing that helped to the tune of about 1 or 2 knots was synthetic 5-40 oil and the addition of acetone (thinners) to the diesel. But I'm not recommending it!

BTW the boxes don't turn the same rotation. Mine had the props turning inwards, but being twin disc boxes I could have reversed that.

I can't remember what props I had fitted but it's not hard - you need 2600-2800, maybe just pressing 2900 flat out if you're propped OK and the boat is really on the plane & not stuck in the hole. If it is in the hole, you'll be choking on large volumes of exhaust courtesy of those Ford lumps.

If you do get it set up right, it will carve through a force 6 like nobody's business.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
If you want to talk to Geraint Skuse he works at ancasta port solent.

I have overhauled 2 sabres in a ranger before, very easy once the roof is off, great boats for there time.

micsic

Visit site
Thanks for all the info - very enlightening. We have a ‘75 built Ranger fitted with the original Sabre 210 engines and must assume original props. I have only managed a top speed of about 18 knots so far and that is optimistic. However it looks like the boat had not been used much in latter years as it had been though an extensive internal refit. This had much improved the boat aesthetically, however the addition of some very pleasing faced ply has I suspect added a fair amount of weight, let alone a black tank under the saloon cabin sole.

Mechanically speaking I am led to believe the engine running HRS were only 1200 this seems to be borne out by the general all round condition of the mechanical components (and for that matter the very good condition of the gel coat).
Saying that I am in the process of replacing one of the charge air coolers after we realised (just in time) that we were burning a fair amount of seawater with our air!

Regarding weight I do not have a generator but do have some conventional old heavy batteries ( to be replaced with AGMs as required). I also note that under both aft bunks are what appear to be new S/S water tanks taking up all the area beneath the bunks, these have always been full when we have been using her.

So in a nutshell I think we are heavy and have perhaps have engines that “could do better” so I am very interested in your 4” x 2” solution to making things more efficient and stable, this seems a great idea and like all good ones “simple” – did you do this or have you experienced it being done ?

MystereMarcus

Visit site
Hi micsic. I believe you have bought our old boat. I looked at her after the previous owner had refitted her, I thought she looked fantastic. Will be interested to know how you get on with the performance, as I say we used to get 26 knots. If you'd like any history please feel free to get in touch.

andrewbarker

Visit site
Yes - fitted the timbers on a temporary basis bolted through to pads inside: - it's a very strong hull & they provided the lift I was looking for, but I removed them to sell the boat.

The person who really knew what to do & how to do it & advised me about this and the fixed tabs was Mike Bellamy of Lancing Marine - a hugeley helpful person. He also did the prop calculations for me.

By the way, I did think about relocating all the batteries up in the bow, with HD cabling back to the engine room. That would have made a big difference.

Good luck

Andrew

norfolkranger

Visit site
Ocean Ranger Norfolk

Hi I bought Ocean Ranger in 2007 and keep her on Norfolk Broads. There arent many Ranger 36s here but would love to contact other owners for info. Have 2 Perkins Sabres fitted 9 years ago and only done 800 hours. Was originally on the south coast Chichester way but have no log book. Any one know of her history or year of build please? Photos available

Surfacesub

Visit site
Hi norfolkranger,

Ages ago I recall answering a similar request for Ocean Ranger information on the Dell Quay Ranger forum. Can't quite remember the outcome now!
However, I should be able to find some information if you are still in need.

Ian.

norfolkranger

Visit site
Hi Ian thanks for the reply and yes I think you did reply to the Dell Quay forum but no one else has replied.
I m looking for any information that can lead to to a hull or factory number and a date of manufacture.
she has glass fibre sliding doors and a raised wheel house by about 5 inches about the fixed rear window. There is a sliding roof with a camber that opens half way back.The upstand has perpex glass giving rear vision obviously done for a tall owner. The helm control panel is a flat area slightly angled but not the more modern console type. In the saloon the heads with shower is to starboard immediately at the foot of the companion way giving a clear run forward to the double berth under the foredeck. Hope this might help somebody fix her in time from a design point of view.
News of other East Anglia boats. Celtic Ranger is for sale and she berths in old Leigh Essex.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Pete

Surfacesub

Visit site
Hi Pete,

Apologies for the delay. On going issue with post timeouts.

I made a few notes when I viewed Ocean Ranger in mid 1998 still with her original Ford Sabre engines and Twin Disc 502 gear boxes. Engine hours 1527 and log 4243 NM.

The hull number was usually engraved on the helm switch panel adjacent to horn button, which was 1019, and as I understand means the 19th Ranger built in 1974.
She was Part One registered and the number was ON 262817. If the register has been closed you may be able to acquire more information by requesting a transcript, but a build certificate may be more enlightening.

End of chapter one.

Ian.