Raggie Rant

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
I read most of the anti stinkie posts on here, mostly made by holier than thou hypocrites.

Standing for fifteen minutes watching the traffic go by yesterday, nine yachts with sail up and all under power passed by. Of course, not one single one had any thought for the rules and could be half arsed to raise a motoring cone. If you stopped bleating about us Moboers for a moment and followed the rules yourselves, then maybe things may get better. There was a lot of traffic around at the time, with powered vessels that were the stand on vessels, having to alter course for these motorised yachts.

Poor quality pics, but no motoring cones. ( I didn't photograph them all, so some are duplicated.) The only one not breaking the rules is the front one in the third photo as he had no sail up.

2813731490_ea41f252b6.jpg

2813730994_be7b6bebd9.jpg

2813730464_4614cf9c56.jpg

2812879699_653ea0f36e.jpg

2812879219_c5dd635766.jpg

2812878677_714f3ec481.jpg

2812878089_d76c9a0361.jpg

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Yeah well,

If stinkies are too stupid to realise that a boat under mainsail alone cannot make possibly be making five or six knots to windward in light airs then I guess they shouldn't be allowed on the water.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
Did you hang your anchoring ball during yesterdays expedition by chance?

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
I certainly hope they weren't doing six knots as the speed limit is five knots past Port Dinorwic. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But, there is a serious side to this post as I was told later that they all went through the Swellies - motoring without a cone - causing a powered boat to turn around in the dangerously narrow channel, as he thought he was facing a flotilla of sailing boats and that could not manoeuvre.

He said he wanted to shout at them when he realised they were under power, even though he was angry that they forced him into a potentially dangerous manoeuvre when he had his two small children aboard.

Easy to laugh, but these boats traversed the entire Menai Straits like this.

Either there are rules or there aren't rules.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Did you hang your anchoring ball during yesterdays expedition by chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't anchor. But I have related the story before when I was anchor opposite PD, in the area of the pictures above, when I realised there was a large 40 footer bearing down on me. At the last moment, he beared away and shouted, "Have a care, power gives way to sail."

I just looked at my anchor ball on top of the wheelhouse and took another sip of tea.

The sooner they invent motorised anchors, the better.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
So, you were fishing and not at anchor..... did you comply with Rule 26 ?

David_Jersey

Visit site
So from standing on shore you are certain enough that they were under power to post the pictures of the offenders on YBW.com

But somehow once on a boat you lose this ability? Curious. Maybe slow down a bit if not sure of your surroundings. or stick a bit more water in it /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Either there are rules or there aren't rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either someone gets confused when not being told what to do 24/7. or they just get on with their life.

wotayottie

Visit site
You are of course quite right - they should have been showing the cone. Nobody ever does, but thats the law. Just like anchors balls.

I suppose really that its a bit like traffic laws - hands up the man who obeys every one of them, rather than the ones that he thinks are appropriate

I dont think much of the anti stinkie posts either. As a life long raggie, it does seem to me that there are as many sins on the raggie side as the stinkie one, with one possible exception. Thats the issue of consideration where the number of raggies thoughlessly tacking down a narrow fairway seems to me to be smaller than the number of stinkies making wash, ploughing through racing fleets.

capnsensible

Visit site
Out of interest, has anyone ever seen the shape being used outside of the UK? Not counting the odd overseas RYA school.
I've been thinking about this and can't honestly say that I have. Not sailed in Australian or New Zealand waters though, which is about the only other place that may use the rules a bit seriously.

jimmynoboat

Visit site
Cone should be raised if motor sailing and I wonder how things would stand in the event of a collision if it weren't? It has been said that it should be renamed to 'training boat cone' due to the erroneous generalisation that you'll only ever see one on a boat with crew under instruction.

Another erroneous generalisation is; 'Stinkies' bad 'Raggies' good or vice versa.

'Us and them. And after all, we're only ordinary men'.

Jeannius

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Out of interest, has anyone ever seen the shape being used outside of the UK? Not counting the odd overseas RYA school.
I've been thinking about this and can't honestly say that I have. Not sailed in Australian or New Zealand waters though, which is about the only other place that may use the rules a bit seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Here in the BVI - and anchor ball as well - by a lot of the crewed charter boats. Insurance people have started using it as an excuse to not pay up when accidents happen.

capnsensible

Visit site
Isn't it interesting that it tends to be the profesionals who bother. I have often 'preached' that it is only the Insurance Companies that will police their use.
The view that it's mostly yachts with trainees onboard is also with substantial foundation and invariably true. Often termed 'the RYA Burgee' in some circles!!!

Mike21

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You are of course making the assumption that most stinkies would know what it meant... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if they don't, not much point asking a raggie /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

So from standing on shore you are certain enough that they were under power to post the pictures of the offenders on YBW.com

[/ QUOTE ] It was virtually windless at that moment - ten minutes later the breeze returned - and we could all hear their engines and that they were motoring was confirmed by the Moboer who me them in the Swellies. Anyway, one of them must have been the spawn of Mucky Farter and was trailing a healthy blue smoke cloud.

I admit to this post being a bit of a gentle wind up, but am shocked so many of you say that it doesn't really matter. I think that motoring under sail with no cone up is actually a potentially dangerous thing to do in the Swellies.