Radio checks?

Gunfleet

Visit site
You don't hear people call CROSS for radio checks. In France you call a marina if you want to see if your radio is working! As for DSC it is perfectly possible to call the UK coastguard by DSC. THeir MMSIs are in chart NP289. The distress button on a dsc set should also have a distress check function, so you can go through the procedure of sending one without it being broadcast. Or you could go to a radio shop and buy a dummy load.
;-)
John

<hr width=100% size=1>

davel

Visit site
They are being equipped with a multi-million pound database that will store all the voucher numbers and mark them as invalid once they've been used. The technology is coming from the same company that develops those prepay systems for mobile phones. Initial teething problems exist with the system so in the meantime, the operator will have an A4 pad of paper and will note the numbers down. These will then be faxed to a central HQ once an hour where they'll be collated with numbers from all other stations and faxed back. Obviously there is a small "fraud window" that exists but it's believed this will not be such a problem as most users will get fed up waiting for the operator to check the voucher number against an ever lengthening list.

Apparently the Daily Mail thinks this is a huge waste of time and is planning to launch a massive campaign against it all !

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave L.

Gunfleet

Visit site
Mike,
I'm sure you're right. I should be more specific. My Simrad's rt 64 plus dsc extension has the ability to test dsc operation without transmitting the alert, according to the instructions. Goodness knows what class it is! And if you connect a vhf to a dummy load you can make it go through the whole rigmarole without broadcasting the alert.
John
Ps
By the way Mike I never did receive a revised licence doc with the EPIRB included.

<hr width=100% size=1>

philwebb

Visit site
I think that Solent Coastguard should make clear to people what their procedure is for radio checks. Personally I ask them for a radio check early in the year when I refit
my radio (it spends the winter at the top of the airing cupboard) . VHF radio is an essential piece of safety kit and you should be sure that it is working properly. I
chartered a boat from St Malo and thought I had checked that everything was in order
only to realise after a few days that our VHF was receiving but not transmitting. When you are going into places like St Helier a call on VHF to port control saves the panic of being in the way of an outgoing high speed ferry.
I do agree though that ch16 is overloaded by people making unnecessary
repetitive checks-perhaps SC could have a channel with an automatic answering
service.
Regards Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
I think I'm right in saying that Solent Coastguard is the only one in the UK that you SHOULD call directly on Ch67, rather than Ch16 for "routine traffic" This has been the case for as long as I can remember. Perhaps they should somehow publicise this fact more widely - put out a release to the mags maybe??

<hr width=100% size=1>