Radar training - free/online resources

eebygum

Visit site
I’m purchasing a yacht with has an older working Radar linked to a Raymarine MFD.

I’ve not used radar before, are there any good online resources courses available other than going on the RYA 1 day Radar course (which I’ve read mixed reviews on)

I’m pretty tech savvy with 25+ years cruising experience; so maybe I just need to read the manuals rather go on a course ? (Or being a bloke, mess around and then read the manuals),

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I’m pretty tech savvy with 25+ years cruising experience;
Yes you can do everything by yourself.
One of the Full Monty online textbooks is here
Maritime Safety Information
The problem is the array of leisure radars goes from very simple sets to very sophisticated, gps input/non gps, Marpa/nonMarpa, ground stabilized/sea stabilized, etc etc; no point in learning a 3-vessel CPA plot ex-rule 19 if your radar targets jump all over the place at every antenna turn.
I'd say learn the basics+, then plenty of practice with the specific set you'll use.

laika

Visit site
This forum is full of people happy to comment on things they aren't expert on and given that I removed my old radar and failed in my intention to install a modern one before running out of cash I fall squarely into that category. I have done the RYA radar Course though and I wonder whether in the world of MARPA we really need to know how to manually plot radar targets. That being said, no-one should probably be using radar without understanding what a radar-assisted collision means:
Collision of the liner Stockholm and the Andrea Doria on 25 July 1956 inheavy fog

Reactions: jac

ashtead

Visit site
Although it might be a trek there are courses offered on radar at the raymarine offices on south coast -don’t know if still run but email to raymarine might reveal. I did one but we had a new at time E series radar

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I would recommend the RYA Radar course. I had read stuff beforehand and watched youtube videos, but I found the practical element of the course using a Radar Simulator really worthwhile.
That’s good to hear. I’ve booked this for sometime in Feb, I need some working knowledge of radar for my coastal skipper course in March, never had a boat with radar so experience is pretty much zilch.

davethedog

Visit site
The new generation radars that are linked to an MFD (we have a Quantum radar linked to the MFDs) are really easy to use with all the preset settings...BUT the real secret is knowing when to move from the presets when required. Also the new generation radars have so much more, such as doppler, timed transmit, decent guard zones etc

eebygum

Visit site
The new generation radars that are linked to an MFD (we have a Quantum radar linked to the MFDs) are really easy to use with all the preset settings...BUT the real secret is knowing when to move from the presets when required. Also the new generation radars have so much more, such as doppler, timed transmit, decent guard zones etc
I fairly certain it’s an older generation Radar onboard (I have no immediate plans on upgrading) which is why I thought a basic introduction would suffice;

Some of the feedback I’ve read on the RYA Radar course suggests it does not cover all the latest features available in modern radar sets.

eebygum

Visit site
Although it might be a trek there are courses offered on radar at the raymarine offices on south coast -don’t know if still run but email to raymarine might reveal. I did one but we had a new at time E series radar
Sadly RYA Radar courses were cancelled from the governments levelling up agenda, so I’ve not been able to find any courses in the North West/North Wales.

davethedog

Visit site
I fairly certain it’s an older generation Radar onboard (I have no immediate plans on upgrading) which is why I thought a basic introduction would suffice;

Some of the feedback I’ve read on the RYA Radar course suggests it does not cover all the latest features available in modern radar sets.
I should have read your original post more thoroughly LOL

But, even the older types that integrate with an MFD still have a lot of decent features. The online raymarine manual catalogue is very good and will help a lot (if the boat does not come with hard copies).

diverd

Visit site
I have similar raymarine radar and found it really quite intuitive. Its near impossible to set up in a marina obviously, but out at sea i found working through all the settings simple and it was easy to read. I messed about with settings, got a decent picture and then pressed the auto button and it was way better than anything i could achieve.
I did some drills with it, trying to navigate back into the bay by radar alone in normal conditions and also spent time just leaving it on, and it regularly saw boats in the distance before i could.
I found the manual with it ok, not as easy as simply playing with it in open water though. I have the same make of radar on both boats, though one is probably 5 years younger than the other and i have used both in proper fog many times now, and i find it an excellent tool. Its way easier to navigate by chart plotter with AIS, but the radar sees all the little fishing boats and recreational boats the chart plotters ais does not. Mine were both low cost used units, not top end modern stuff, and for my type of boating are near vital

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Our Furuno 1712 is about 20 years old and still works well on the odd occasion it's needed in fog, we rarely do overnights these days. Much can be leaned from the manuals which normally come with the radar and then learn to use it in daylight to see how different targets appear and how the controls work in practice.

Skylark

Visit site
I find this remarkably helpful and informative. Unfortunately, I believe that it’s out of print but copies occasionally turn-up on eBay or second hand book sellers.

It covers the basics of settings, pilotage and gives a clear explanation, per sector, of actions to take to avoid collision in restricted viz with vessels in sight of each other by radar alone.

Radar Companion

eebygum

Visit site
I’m purchasing a yacht with has an older working Radar linked to a Raymarine MFD.

I’ve not used radar before, are there any good online resources courses available other than going on the RYA 1 day Radar course (which I’ve read mixed reviews on)

I’m pretty tech savvy with 25+ years cruising experience; so maybe I just need to read the manuals rather go on a course ? (Or being a bloke, mess around and then read the manuals),
in the end I’ve decided to buy a good secondhand book; which suits my learning style.

For anybody else interested, I found a very good online learning course which appears to cover everything the RYA cover at a fraction of the price if you’re happy with an online learning style.

Refueler

Visit site
First lesson :

When screen is full of targets coming at you from all directions ........

Turn range down

Deal with each as it arrives !! (odd checks ahead of course to ensure not running into danger !)

May sound daft or simple - but you would be surprised how many 'professional' users forget that simple guideline ...