Radar/plotters

doris

Visit site
I need radar and a plotter so it makes sense to get a combined one. Or does it??? Does one really need colour? It can’t make any difference to the radar and my last plotter (steam powered admittedly) was mono. On a 36 footer one screen would be nice but space isn’t that tight. None of the plotters have a number pad so I am going to need a backup GPS with that for ease of putting waypoints for regatta use. Anyone been here already? I am not looking to take a fresh mortgage as some of the dealers would like!

davidwf

Visit site
I have gone down the route of separate bits so to speak, I've MLR312 GPS, Cetrek Plotter and Pathfinder radar. I must admit to haven taken forever to finally get them all to work together, the radar being most obstinate and alarming at loss of fix all the time, drove me mad. Could not even isolate it because it got a position back down the seatalk link from the autopilot. Did not want to isolate it from Seatalk because it is a handy instrument repeater.

However all seems sweetness and light at the moment, but if I had to do it again I think I'd stick to one make. So I guess I'd buy (If I had the money) all Raymarine running seatalk.

petery

Visit site
I invested in a Raymarine combined Radar/Plotter system. Colour is important when you overlay the radar image on the chart - the radar echoes stand out in a light purple colour. I doubt it would work in monochrome.

The only problem is that I now want a repeater in the cockpit to save me dashing below to look at the screen when sailing single handed - and thats a third mortgage! - I'll have to make do with a chart on my lap!

johndf

Visit site
Did you find the cause of the loss of fix? I have a Raytheon SL72 linked to my Raychart 420 GPS and to the seatalk bus, getting compass info and speed and depth as well. Every so often the SL72 loses the nav data, although the GPS, tridata and autohelm are chuntering away quite happily. This means having to switch off the radar and restart - not a major problem, but a bit of a pain. Was this your problem, and have you overcome it?

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Your quite right Doris , one screen makes more sense than 2 especially when it comes to power consumption. You'll also have less cabling and the whole installation takes up less space even though as you said space isn't at a premium. Like Peter I've got the Raymarine colour chart ploter/radar which I think is brilliant.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
PBO reviewed combined plotter/radar units in August or September. I thought the article was credible, using a team of people with plenty of experience. Although they came up with a best buy as usual, the final statement was that nobody on the team would buy one. The overall impression was that the split screens are far too small to be of value. A 10 inch screen seems to be the minimum useful size.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I'd go along with that. If I ever have the wherewithal to upgrade the screen , I'd move the 7" screen to the cockpit and have a new 10" screen down below.

kidnapped

Visit site
I have one as well .... this season's 'goody' .... and it's terrific [10'']. I had radar at the nav. stn. with alternative position in the cockpit .... now my chart plotter just plugs in in either location. Paper charts on hatch still get updated on the hour.