Racer Cruiser Research

Visit site
Hi all, my son is doing A-Levels (UK pre-uni exams), and has chosen as a research project to explore the designs and compromises around Racer-Cruisers.

He has created a short questionnaire for sailors interested in the subject, and we would be hugely grateful if any of you were willing to spend 10 minutes to fill it in?

Here is a link to the questionnaire:
https://forms.office.com/r/9rcKRJNwcX

For those wanting more detail, the project is something called an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ). It's like half an A-Level, and requires the student to pose a question, then do research to answer it. I used to race and cruise a Dehler 36 called Polly's Kettle, and he grew up around that boat, hence his interest.

Wansworth

Visit site
Would have been handy 60 years ago to avoid all theses cruiser racers of the 60/70 contaminating cruising boat rigs and the massive overlapping genoas

B27

Visit site
Personally I couldn't usefully answer much of that because I've separated my racing and cruising.
Different boats.

flaming

Visit site
I answered it. Pretty decent questionnaire from a youngster.

A few assumptions being made that I'm not sure are all that valid. And missed the one question I would have asked, which was along the lines of "How seriously do you race - to win or just for fun".

As I think that influences boat compromises and choices more than comfort or helm choice.

Visit site
Personally I couldn't usefully answer much of that because I've separated my racing and cruising.
Different boats.
I couldn't afford 2, so eventually swapped my racing to a dinghy and we just went cruising. Thanks for responding, he'll appreciate it.

Visit site
I answered it. Pretty decent questionnaire from a youngster.

A few assumptions being made that I'm not sure are all that valid. And missed the one question I would have asked, which was along the lines of "How seriously do you race - to win or just for fun".

As I think that influences boat compromises and choices more than comfort or helm choice.
Thanks so much, he'll be grateful, and agree that there are many nuances that can't be covered in a generic questionnaire ... yours is a good one.

Neeves

Visit site
I started to answer and then found my answers became irrelevant.

The questionnaire assumes owning a cruiser/racer. We had a racing yacht, bought for its racing abilities, and as it was all we could afford sometimes used it for cruising. Then having changed domiciles and unable to afford serious racing we bought a cruising yacht which we never raced....all of which impinges on what Flaming 'questions', post 4.

Apologies

Jonathan

Visit site
I started to answer and then found my answers became irrelevant.

The questionnaire assumes owning a cruiser/racer. We had a racing yacht, bought for its racing abilities, and as it was all we could afford sometimes used it for cruising. Then having changed domiciles and unable to afford serious racing we bought a cruising yacht which we never raced....all of which impinges on what Flaming 'questions', post 4.

Apologies

Jonathan
Thank you for trying anyway. if you were minded, I'm sure he would be v happy with it filled in from the perspective of that first boat, and if you wanted with a short explanation in the last box. But grateful for the time you've already invested in any event.