Quick Wood-Fibreglass Adhesive

C_Harkness

Visit site
Pretty much as the title suggests really, I'm looking for an adhesive to bond strips of timber to a fibreglass internal wall. Google has brought up some ideas but it seems they're either very expensive, or will take way too long to set. The job is a vertical (ish) wall and a lot of the glues suggest holding things in place for 24 hours, my arms will be the only thing I can use to hold against a wall - clamping is impossible, and I don't fancy spending 24 hours holding it if I can avoid it!

Suggestions I've seen so far are 3M 5200, which looks like it will be a very expensive route for covering a very large area, No More Nails which recommends waiting 24 hours - I assume Gorilla Glue and other similar adhesives will be the same, and Sikaflex.

Any suggestions of something quick and easy that will happily adhere to both wood and fibreglass quickly and not require holding in place for extended periods?

Tranona

Visit site
welcome.

Depends on what you are going to do with the wood once it is on. No More Nails will cure enough to be self supporting within a few minute. You do not have to hold it for 24 hours! - just a couple of minutes to create the initial bond. However if you then want to attach anything heavy to it best to wait until it is fully cured and 24 hours is more than enough time. I have just used it extensively in my house for wood to plaster and MDF with no failures. Also used it on the boat wood to GRP again no failures.

BTW tHis sort of question will get better response on the PBO forum.

C_Harkness

Visit site
You wouldn't believe how many times I scrolled up and down and didn't spot a more suited page on the forum - and there it was, right at the top all along! Thanks for the response. There's nothing much going to be attached that's heavy, it's just going to be used for a decorative wall finish instead of using carpet or something. Looks like No More Nails will do the job. 24 hours did sound a bit nuts, however that's what it said in the Amazon info box thing. Thank you

macd

Visit site
Wudcare Fast Grab. Bonds just about anything to anything and fast setting, particularly if one surface is damp.

Looks like a typical foaming polyurethane adhesive, albeit faster-setting than most. The OP would be wise to do a test piece to check the degree of foaming if excess foam is likely to be visible. As said, dampness helps the foaming reaction, so best used on a humid day. Otherwise, wiping the wood with a damp cloth a few minutes before glueing will help the reaction.

AndrewB

Visit site
A two-part epoxy glue (e.g. Loctite) will cure really fast, you shouldn't need to hold it for more than about five minutes. It is waterproof, but doesn't give quite as strong a bond as foaming polyurethane glue such as Bison or Gorilla. However, this latter needs to be put under firm compression for several hours, so if you can't arrange that is no use.

Others have mentioned "No More Nails" but in my experience again needs holding together for up to an hour and does not result in very satisfactory permanent results.

Last edited:

C_Harkness

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a discount 3-pack of No More Nails on offer on Amazon prior to reading further replies, hopefully it works and if not I shall look in to a two-part epoxy. I have no way of holding anything in place whatsoever so if it does take an hour before curing I'll end up with very sore arms!