Qualifications

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
HI All nearly finished the coastal skipper/yachtmaster theory. And got to thinking is it worth doing the ocean course next year? What qualification do you all have and what do you think is worth doing.

A piece of paper is all ways worth while when you are in the s**t.

andlauer

Visit site
Theorical experience is just a support to hock the practical experience.
Reading and sailing are very effective.
Sail single handed as much as possible under increasing difficulties (weather, duration and navigation area) ;
For example sailing offshore is much easier than the Channel or North sea.
My advice would be sail and sail and sail.
Eric

Noddy

Visit site
"And sail and sail and sail and sail and sail and sail and sail and sail and sail and sail and sail."

Eric - you really understand how to make working in an office difficult!

Eric - vous comprenez vraiment comment rendre travaillant dans un bureau difficile!

Paul

Gargleblaster

Visit site
HI All nearly finished the coastal skipper/yachtmaster theory. And got to thinking is it worth doing the ocean course next year? What qualification do you all have and what do you think is worth doing.

Yachtmaster Ocean is probably the most useful of courses for single handed ocean sailing. 90% of the course is spent of celestial navigation which is really an anachronism with today's ultra reliable and accurate GPS navigation but it's good to understand the mysteries. The weather stuff is really good but as Eric says can probably be gained from books.

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
It depends what you intend to use the qualification for? If you are wanting to work as a professional Skipper then it would be very useful for you to qualify as a commercially endorsed Yachtmaster (as minimum). I only employ Ocean Masters or higher as Skippers; but of course I place a higher emphasis on quality experience and skills. You can learn more sometimes sailing in The Solent than you can on a Trans Atlantic...

If you are learning just to improve your own skills and dont intend working in the industry, then i'd recommend you complete your Yachtmaster practical. This course will re-affirm all that you did during your Coastal, and push you to the next level of competence. The Ocean course is currently being reviewed by the RYA, and is quite academic - heavy emphasis on Astro Navigation (hence the review).

Also get out there and sail as much as you can. We often take on new crew who are looking to improve their skills and gain experience.

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
One of the reasons of doing it now is to learn to use a sextant. No doubt when the changes come in it will be all gps. No real intentions of commercial sailing unless the jugging work dries up. Had a wee look on the web for a sextant the price range seems large from £14 to £300, any suggestions.

The courses run winter evening so does not infringe of the sailing time. I'll probably do it next year.
Do you need a ICC for the Azores?

Keep safe

Gargleblaster

Visit site
One of the reasons of doing it now is to learn to use a sextant. Had a wee look on the web for a sextant the price range seems large from £14 to £300, any suggestions.

Keep safe

I have two sextants. One is so good, a Plath, that I won't take it on the boat in case it's damaged - there is twisted logic for you. The other which does everything I want perfectly well is a plastic Ebbco - about £20 on Ebay. It's not the quality of the sextant that is important it is how often you can get a celestial body to drag down. The real cost, particularly in storage, is in the nautical almanac and the sight reduction tables. Although if you use a scientific calculator [something else to go wrong] you don't need the sight reduction tables. The nautical almanac can now be bought electronically so that you don't have to carry paper that gets wet and sticks together on the boat. However, I have the electronic version but printed out the relevant pages so that I wasn't reliant on the computer for my calculations.

I won't bother this year with the printing out the nautical almanac and will rely on the GPS for my position throughout.

I don't believe you need an ICC for the Azores. I happen to have one - somewhere. But no-one ever asked me for one in a number of visits to various islands of the Azores over a number of years.

Visit site
One of the reasons of doing it now is to learn to use a sextant. No doubt when the changes come in it will be all gps. No real intentions of commercial sailing unless the jugging work dries up. Had a wee look on the web for a sextant the price range seems large from £14 to £300, any suggestions.

The courses run winter evening so does not infringe of the sailing time. I'll probably do it next year.

Keep safe

The course does not teach you how to use the sextant, at least mine didn't. A quick bit of theory then get out there and practice. What it does do is teach you how to translate your sight results into a meaningful position. I was taught using the air navigation tables as per RYA. In actual fact I didn't use this method, preferring instead to use Bakers tables. These contain everything that you need including instruction so in hindsight I would question the time/money spent on the RYA course in the first place! Tom Cunliffe's book is also very good with clear explanations in a language most of us understand (perhaps even Eric!) I used a Davis sextant and it was good enough for me. I got within 5 miles of my GPS position on a number of occasions and surprisingly my best results were with the moon! Never had any luck with the stars though.
It's good fun, passes the time and keeps alive an old skill so GO FOR IT but don't spend too much money on a fancy sextant.
As regards qualifications, I've got the lot...purely for personal satisfaction. I've never been asked for them and I've come across a lot of people boasting top theory results, that I wouldn't trust in a pram dinghy! It doesn't mean a jot out there, as the others say - sail sail sail.
Good luck
Graham

stevenhumphrey

Visit site
well
its
well
worth in knowing which way is west
and how to ask in local
the way home (RI) when one bumps in to a bit of dry stuff,,
on the other side of the stright.

srm

Visit site
The ocean course is interesting - but RYA are still using the air sight reduction table method which is going to be very expensive in books.
Suggest that you use a basic scientific calculator (or take three, they are cheap enough) and plug your numbers into the spherical formula. You will still need an almanac though. Have been teaching that method to fishermen and MN deck officers for years and if they can manage it so can you.

Incidentally, I have taught all the RYA theory courses and many of the Fishing and MN deck officer ones as well - but they are only theory. As others have said, get out on the water, sail and navigate.

Just a footnote, I was on the Jester forum a couple of years ago, and went out looking for a suitable boat. However I was seduced by a 35 ft (hull length) cutter with longish keel and bowsprit. Its too far from the Jester spirit to join you guys but wish you all the best.

Sean.

theguerns

Visit site
experience

A piece of paper is all ways worth while when you are in the s**t.

33 years ago I decided to try a circumnav I had been costal sailing for about 20 years Now I am 63 have sailed all the oceans in all sorts of yachts and am still here, Like everybody here is saying school rooms are for learning maths and english the sea is the classroom for sailing keep trying in all weathere and when something doesnt work for you find a way it does. Go far have fun and live life to the full it aint a practice and you only get one shot. Good Luck and happy sailing