QHM Portsmouth to become KHM Portsmouth

dunedin

Visit site
'Cos there is a HM at the Commercial Port as well as Q(K)HM. Admittedly the Commercial one monitors Ch13 and Q(K)HM Ch 11 but they have been known to operate both.
Surely the Solent area is so small they would be better with a single Harbour Master covering the Solent, Portsmouth and Southampton harbours. Much more efficient - though presumably less fancy titles and less senior positions needed.

Elessar

Visit site
Surely the Solent area is so small they would be better with a single Harbour Master covering the Solent, Portsmouth and Southampton harbours. Much more efficient - though presumably less fancy titles and less senior positions needed.
One’s merchant and one is naval.

And the small area makes it harder not easier.

The dredged approach to Southampton is mostly so narrow ships can’t pass. Takes a lot of coordination.

Edit I mis read. I didn’t know there was both commercial and military in Portsmouth. I understand why Southampton is separate but I don’t understand about Portsmouth.

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
One’s merchant and one is naval.

And the small area makes it harder not easier.

The dredged approach to Southampton is mostly so narrow ships can’t pass. Takes a lot of coordination.

Edit I mis read. I didn’t know there was both commercial and military in Portsmouth. I understand why Southampton is separate but I don’t understand about Portsmouth.
Its one stretch of water, with lots of different types of boat movements - naval, commercial and leisure. Doesn’t mean that a single Harbour Master authority wouldn’t be more effective. Indeed most other places want a single harbour authority to avoid any confusion.

capnsensible

Visit site
Its one stretch of water, with lots of different types of boat movements - naval, commercial and leisure. Doesn’t mean that a single Harbour Master authority wouldn’t be more effective. Indeed most other places want a single harbour authority to avoid any confusion.
Yeah, the UK is so small compared to say, Africa, you only really need one harbourmaster for everywhere.

Easy then to get rid of jumped up officials seeking glory.

dunedin

Visit site
Yeah, the UK is so small compared to say, Africa, you only really need one harbourmaster for everywhere.

Easy then to get rid of jumped up officials seeking glory.
A single harbour master for the Solent ports would be fine. It’s probably less than 0.001% of the UK coastline, so a bit of a leap to move from that to a single harbourmaster for the UK.
But the volume of traffic in the Solent area is a good argument for a single oversight of two ports which share a single approach channel, and main entrance channels just 5 miles or so apart. The whole area probably fits within many single ports.

capnsensible

Visit site
A single harbour master for the Solent ports would be fine. It’s probably less than 0.001% of the UK coastline, so a bit of a leap to move from that to a single harbourmaster for the UK.
But the volume of traffic in the Solent area is a good argument for a single oversight of two ports which share a single approach channel, and main entrance channels just 5 miles or so apart. The whole area probably fits within many single ports.
Guess you've never been there......

Southampton is a major British Port with container dockes, passenger docks, car vessel terminal and tankers delivering to an oil terminal. Plus oodles of leisure craft.

Portsmouth as well as a Military harbour has a busy passenger terminal and a small container port plus KHM overseers many marinas.

To my knowledge there are also harbourmasters at Lymingrton, Yarmouth, Cowes, The Hamble, and Chichester. There well may be others at Bembridge, Keyhaven and Newtown, don't know.

But it does appear that you may have been unaware of the scale of the area, the number of ports and harbours and the volume of traffic. These organisations are not there by accident but by design based on huge experience.

I don't expect that to change.....

Hope this helps. (y)

Rappey

Visit site
A single harbour master for the Solent ports would be fine.
That's just crazy. That would be like removing every argos store manager and having just one for all the stores ?
Abp southampton and khm Portsmouth have more than enough work just managing their own ports without having to learn all about all the others, and no two ports or operating procedures are alike.
The Solent accounts for 25% of Englands coastal berths

Stemar

Visit site
I could see a single authority overseeing the three major ports (I'm including Fawley) and ship movements in the Solent. The other harbours pretty much only cater for small ferries and pleasure boats, so no need for them to be included. KHM Solent would have quite enough to do as it is. It would make sense to keep the two radio channels, though, as both can get quite busy at times. Maybe 11 for inside Portsmouth Harbour and 13 for the rest.

OTOH, the current system seems to work pretty well, and there wouldn't be huge savings, so if it ain't broke...

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I could see a single authority overseeing the three major ports (I'm including Fawley) and ship movements in the Solent. The other harbours pretty much only cater for small ferries and pleasure boats, so no need for them to be included. KHM Solent would have quite enough to do as it is. It would make sense to keep the two radio channels, though, as both can get quite busy at times. Maybe 11 for inside Portsmouth Harbour and 13 for the rest.

OTOH, the current system seems to work pretty well, and there wouldn't be huge savings, so if it ain't broke...
I understood that KHM was for military ports only, that would rule a KHM Solent out.

Even in Plymouth we have a Catterwatter HM that deals with non military ships that go to Victoria and other wharfs.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com

It works in no small measure because KHM sits in the Semaphore Tower where (s)he can look out of the window and see most of the harbour especially the narrow entrance. I assume that Southampton VTS have a similar perch near the dock head. I wouldn't want to replace them with somebody in a basement full of screens in Fareham.

dunedin

Visit site
You must have forgotten what it’s like, then. You might be able to manage one harbour master for the whole of Scotland if we could manage with one for the Solent. There might be less marine activity in total.
A single harbour master overseeing Southampton and Portsmouth is perfectly feasible, and due to shared access narrow access routes arguably preferable / safer.
Nobody has suggested would need to cover the other smaller harbours such as Cowes, Yarmouth etc.

capnsensible

Visit site
A single harbour master overseeing Southampton and Portsmouth is perfectly feasible, and due to shared access narrow access routes arguably preferable / safer.
Nobody has suggested would need to cover the other smaller harbours such as Cowes, Yarmouth etc.
Where do you get your insider information from? It's surely not speculation.

Personally I think your idea, however we'll intentioned, is a bit bonkers.

But I can relax knowing that it will never, ever happen. :)

lustyd

Visit site
Feasible and a good idea aren't always aligned. Remember when someone pointed out it was feasible to have a single coastguard?

dunedin

Visit site
Feasible and a good idea aren't always aligned. Remember when someone pointed out it was feasible to have a single coastguard?
We already have a single coastguard in the UK - the MCA. Their Operations arm has a number (much smaller than previously) of operational sites, which primarily focus on specifical localities, but are interlinked to provide work sharing and cover for other areas when necessary. As I understand it, calls (Phone or VHF) can be handled at alternative locations, not just the closest station.
Clearly there are some operational issues of reduced local knowledge, but this was happening decades ago and needs better methods of addressing.