Proving VAT paid

citygent111

Visit site
Hi all,

Thinking about towing our Fletcher to France/Spain next year.

One issue I'm concerned about is being able to prove VAT has been paid. She was new in 2009, I think we are the 3rd owners, I got some recent paperwork showing receipts for servicing etc, but nothing at all relating to the original owner/purchase.

How the heck do we prove VAT paid on a 15 year old boat?!

Thanks!

dunedin

Visit site
Key question is are you planning to leave the boat in France / Spain (for more than 18 months) or planning to tow it home again after a holiday.
Either way proof of UK VAT paid status probably irrelevant.
In the former case likely to be liable for EU VAT to import permanently (but lots of other important details), in the latter case going for temporary admission when VAT status is irrelevant.
As far as I know.

lustyd

Visit site
You should buy a boat which comes with the original VAT invoice as evidence of VAT paid .
That isn't proof of VAT status, there could have been tax events since purchase so you also need the history including proof of location if you actually want to prove status.

I believe when taking expensive things abroad there's a temporary export form you need to fill in that you show on the way back.
The EU don't need to see anything these days, but they can ask

Momac

Visit site
That isn't proof of VAT status, there could have been tax events since purchase so you also need the history including proof of location if you actually want to prove status.
Okay I take your point. But its a good start - proves VAT was paid in the UK.

Tranona

Visit site
Look at the evidence accepted which is very general and the simplest is that the boat was in the UK on the 31/12/2020. Pretty clear if he has the record of past owners showing it has always been in the UK that no questions will be asked. As suggested the original invoice is largely irrelevant. In the OPs case this is a non issue from what he has said. Just fill in the forms as in post#12 and the government guidance