Propshaft

muchy_

Visit site
I need to replace a propshaft and was wondering how they were fitted at the gearbox end. At the moment the shaft goes into a big clamp like thing. Is it just cut to the right lenght and then held by this clamp like thing or is there more to it than that?

<hr width=100% size=1>Is it the weekend yet?

pampas

Visit site
Yes to all questions. Two items that I would do,

1 fit a tapered dowel through the coupling and shaft.

2 put a jubilee clip on the shaft to stop the shaft falling out if possible.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean by a 'clamp thing'. The usual arrangement is for the gearbox to have a connection which typically is disc or pronged shaped with four or more connecting bolts. This is attached to the shaft by four or more bolts through to a collar mounted on the inboard end of the shaft. This collar is detachable. It is held firmly on the shaft by a key (a piece of steel with a square cross-section which slots into a groove in both the shaft and the collar), and prevented from slipping along the shaft by a steel pin through both collar and shaft. There is often a flexible coupling of some sort fitted between the collar and the gearbox, though they can be connected direct.

In order to withdraw the propshaft through the stern gland and cutlass bearing, the collar must first be removed. If it's been on for some years, a puller will probably be needed.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bejasus

Visit site
Muchy, look <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.asap-supplies.com/cgi-bin/store/cat.cgi>here</A>, and type in Shaft Couplings in the search box then click on the picture icon on 808414 and you will see the one I have just fitted. In between that and the gearbox flange, I fitted an R & D flexible coupling from the same source. There is no need to fit a pin type arrangement and the flexible coupling comes with fitting instructions which tell you how to set it up. If you decide to go for one, let me know as I can maybe save you a bit.

Nice to see you out on the river the other week, I was on my way to Weyford Bridge after spending the previous night at Coltishall.

George

<hr width=100% size=1>