Propellor on 120s saildrive

smiala

Visit site
Hi,
My 14" twin blade folding prop is a little slack on the splines, ie 2/3 mm when wiggled up/down... though not loose forward/backward. I guess the internal splines are worn, but havent remove yet as I would see what the forums experts say. ( plus the nut is a sod to rmove I recall )

Q can i have some play here, is this a worry ?
Q, if not does anyone know where I can get the interrnal hub refirbished ?

Checked for a replacement prop, got quotes from 300 to 500, so any advise welcome.

Thanks

DickB

Visit site
It might be play on the rubber bush between the prop and the inner shaft. I had this and actuallay did replace the prop. I doubt it is the actual splines...

boatmike

Visit site
That sounds likely if it is a prop with a rubber bush. If the splines were loose and the nut done up tight you should not be able to move it as there is face to face contact. 1-2 mm movement is possible however if the hub is set in the prop on a rubber shock absorbing mount.
You should be able to move the prop by hand a little therefore but it should not rattle unless the nut is loose.
However most folding props don't have rubber bushes. If it doesn't the nut is loose.

aluijten

Visit site
It's a common problem with the standard Volvo propellors (actually: Radice manufactures them).
It will become worse and worse over time. There is no replacement hub available, you have to buy a new propellor in the end. Then the whole things starts over again.
There are two ways to prevent this:
- Buy an alternate brand propellor i.e Gori or Kiwi
- modify the locking nut by grinding it a bit so the hub is caught tight in the axial direction.

Basically the way the propellor is held in place is not very clever. The standard way still leaves room to wiggle, this, in the end (because of vibrations), leads to wear and tear on the spline

I went for the Gori solution

Cheers,

Arno

Sailfree

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's a common problem with the standard Volvo propellors (actually: Radice manufactures them).
It will become worse and worse over time. There is no replacement hub available, you have to buy a new propellor in the end. Then the whole things starts over again.

Arno

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree the standard Volvo prop made by Radice has a softer material on the splines. Never got one to last longer than 12 months witout wear and vibrations. If you let it get too bad the Volvo shaft splines fret & wear.

In the end Volvo gave me my money back and told me to buy any other make of propeller other than theirs!! It was a bit of a battle but the only time I can say that Volvo did the right thing for aftersales service! Didn't want to know for the Engine problems. As always charter boats find out any weaknesses first!

Getting any aftersales service or admission of liability from Volvo I have found impossible. I was told that Beneteau have now given up fitting Volvos to their boats - is this true?

smiala

Visit site
thanks to all the replies, very useful.

The last two days have been spent getting her ready for lauch, only to feel more like a pelican,

which ever direction you look there's a bill.........

Alan

alldownwind

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
..............There is no replacement hub available, you have to buy a new propellor in the end..................

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly not as cut and dried as 'no replacement hub available'. I was able to buy a Volvo three-blader hub as a separate item - I'd bought a set of blades second-hand, and bought a new hub, available as standard from a V-P dealer.