Prop Service

WayneS

Visit site
I am fed up with the poor performance of my yacht while under engine power and have decided that it is time to do something about it.

In perfect conditions I "race" along at 4.5kn. Any headwind or chop and this falls to under 3kn.

So, as I see it I have a couple of choices.

1. Get another boat
2. Replace the engine (Currently 12Hp)
3. Re Prop (Gori 2 Blade folding 15"x11")

From a pure cost point of view I guess that re-prop is the way to go.

Can anyone advise me of a decent firm that will be able to advise a noddy like me what to do.

Cheers

Wayne

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
Are you developing full power? Can you go to almost max revs when under load?
What is max revs when not under load?
I have had a choked Exhaust elbow(only about an 8mm diameter hole...) and my friend has just discovered the same on his Nanni this weekend - again almost choked up - about a 10mm contorted hole for the exhaust! - it would rev to 3600 not under load but could barely raise 1800 rpm under load!

Cheap & Easy things to check are:-
Exhaust elbow
Fuel filters
Injectors
Fuel pump(unlikely)
Clean fuel(add Soltron?)

God luck and keep us informed

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

frilaens

Visit site
My motor was overheating and the alarm was very weak so I didn't notice it for ages; I changed the impellor and thermostat, no help, checked the pipes and then took off the exhaust elbow.... same problem, cooling inlet about half the original diameter and the internal channels scaled up. After a couple of hours in 30% hydrochloric acid (for cleaning masonry) they were much clearer and now water flow is dramatically better!

Andy

<hr width=100% size=1>

WayneS

Visit site
Good advice, thanks

I have no idea what revs I am getting as I do not have a taco. Anyone got ideas on where I can get hold of a cheapie?

Cheers

Wayne

<hr width=100% size=1>