Prop-o-Drev antifoul...any experience

ari

Visit site
Did my previously virgin lovely polished Alpha One leg this year (after spending last year scrubbing weed off of the darned thing).

Actually looked a lot better done than I expected.

Only been in the water a couple of weeks so can't vouch for its effectiveness yet though.

JasonB

Visit site
Hi Stefan,

I'm looking at what to do with my Outboard the next time I put her back into the water and I found the March 2006 MBM has a review of "Antifouling for Outdrives" - Seajet PellerClean got "Best Buy" with 5 "ticks". Prop-O-Drev got four "ticks".

I'm not sure what that means in the real world - maybe some of the learned panel present have tried Pellerclean................?

J.

adarcy

Visit site
Re: Prop-o-Drev antifoul..mixed feelings

I think it depends on your prop wear and priorities.

We had 2x205 petrol Volvo DPs, previous ?MTX had been no good re fouling. P-o-D was definitely faster (or more economical - take your choice) and did not weed up to the same extent. So far so good.

End of first season, fairly easy to grind away at the dinged/feathery bits (always accepting you had to do it from damaged/corroded towards pristine - else the Teflon made it pointless). One has to be careful to grease and blank off the splines and clean them after else trouble refitting. After 3 years, it was necessary to do the whole prop and that is where the trouble arose. There were enough nicks and corrosion that it seemed wise to get back to the bare metal and start again (inevitably there was some overlap with the previous 2 years touch up with primer and topcoat). Getting the stuff off was a nightmare - it is Teflon based after all! As far as I can remember, it took 3-4 courses of Nitromoors and wiping off with rags/paper before it was thin enough to clean with recommended thinners, then prime x2 and topcoat x3.

Summary :- If you're going to keep the boat 1-2 years, highly recommended; if 3-4 years not so sure but it did definitely go faster and had little weeding but ....some hard work

Anthony