Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

Bouba

Visit site
A chippy opened in our port this summer. It wasn’t bad either, but I think we were the only customers, not just on that day but ever. I’ve never seen it open since. Pity
As for YouTube? What do I know? It’s possible that it could be an income stream, keep the accent, you could become YouTube’s Geoff Boycott. A professional Yorkshireman, guided tours of the dales etc. You never know ;)

Greg2

Visit site
Love the comment on one of the videos as you go into the forward cabin - ‘Needs a bit of work’ :)

I admire your capacity for taking on what most would dismiss without much thought and going on to turn it into something quite special. I am looking forward to watching this project develop.

waynes world

Visit site
A chippy opened in our port this summer. It wasn’t bad either, but I think we were the only customers, not just on that day but ever. I’ve never seen it open since. Pity
As for YouTube? What do I know? It’s possible that it could be an income stream, keep the accent, you could become YouTube’s Geoff Boycott. A professional Yorkshireman, guided tours of the dales etc. You never know ;)

Well chippy was shut so went into Leigh for another, not bad, and chips butty with gravy and a sausage while cruising :):) cant beat it.

Now then, my accent, i hate it, as never heard myself since now. And OMG i sound an even bigger plonker.

As for me having a Yorkshireman accent....your not the first to say that, i have never lived there just been through it a few times, well maybe i did live there now to think of it for 6 months about 20 years ago. I am from Lancashire though, got about a bit aswell.

Love the comment on one of the videos as you go into the forward cabin - ‘Needs a bit of work’ :)

I admire your capacity for taking on what most would dismiss without much thought and going on to turn it into something quite special. I am looking forward to watching this project develop.

I am going for the minimalist look :), just paint and a chair will be reat lol.

I can see a TV series coming next! :)

Nah not for me, i had been shown interest with the last build and want interested, not that kinda of person, not just that i cant bloody even speak properly lol. Get my words mixed up nowadays.

Ok

got home about an hour ago from the short 4hr trip to Wigan from Boothstown. Near uneventful but for a builders sack rammed around the prop which was not easy to remove from the leg, bad enough with an outboard. near went in again but hey ho, all part of the fun :)

Coolant water doesnt seem to coming out of the exhaust now, but runs fine still. A lot of steam then water pumps a little. have been going half throttle though.

I want to get as far north now as possible tomorrow then i can leave it for a few weeks until the 14th September for the Ribble link. We have my brothers lad with us, he is a good un but meithers a lot, good at the helm to give me a break though :) and 8hrs is a long trip for him tomorrow if we do it.

lets see how it goes. Need my weekend on Khashoggi next weekend to chill now :)

Bouba

Visit site
I am from Lancashire though,

Are you sure? My wife was translating for me when I listened to your video (she’s from up north). Usually I’m good with Lancastrian (I lived there from the age of two to three). I watch Corrie, I remember Albert Tatlock.

One question I have, how did a running working boat end up in that state? Was it an unfinished project (stripped then left) or was the engine rebuilt first? Usually a running boat looks half decent but deteriorates quickly once the engine fails. Yours looks like it’s been stripped, inside and out, ready for a refit.

Anyhow I take back what I said, you could be a professional Lancastrian, there hasn’t been one since Gracie Fields. Accents are celebrated now:encouragement:

waynes world

Visit site
Are you sure? My wife was translating for me when I listened to your video (she’s from up north). Usually I’m good with Lancastrian (I lived there from the age of two to three). I watch Corrie, I remember Albert Tatlock.

One question I have, how did a running working boat end up in that state? Was it an unfinished project (stripped then left) or was the engine rebuilt first? Usually a running boat looks half decent but deteriorates quickly once the engine fails. Yours looks like it’s been stripped, inside and out, ready for a refit.

Anyhow I take back what I said, you could be a professional Lancastrian, there hasn’t been one since Gracie Fields. Accents are celebrated now:encouragement:

tell the truth i dont have a clue, but born in Rochdale and lived there for 25 years, in North Wales 6 months,, Bridlington 6 months. Now Manchester for 15 odd years. I did watch Last of the summer wine a lot.

The Norman, all i know is it was fitted out, sank and down for a month or so and the bloke i bought it off risen it and ripped it out and i got it. He did four oil changes of the engine and put a new starter motor on it and refurbed the injector pump ( not that i believe that )

All i know, i never ask much with these things as i dont believe folk when they are trying to sell me something. If i am happy with the price i am paying etc etc i have it.

waynes world

Visit site
What a disaster today has been up to now.

Got to me Pete ( The Biscuits ) this morning, the look out last night for OBD, chasing of scrotes from nicking my lady Cider i left on board.

Good to meet you kida.

So the disaster, we set off but after maybe half hour we ran out of diesel again, very unexpected as i put 5l in yesterday afternoon.

So stuck now with the boat opposite the stadium. i dragged it back to an access road as the batteries after an hour trying to bleed the lines and now they are dead, so i walked back to the car got it and now home charging them up for a second go later on.

Plan now, get back and if we can start it up fine and might crack on to Lathom junction maybe 4hrs away or Crooke Marina. which is 1.5hrs away.

If it doesnt fire up then we are taking the Zodiac and going to moor the boat off side with no access from public and use the Zodiac to get to tow path.

Happy days, luving it large :):)

PS

i am holding off the crane still lol.

vas

Visit site
wouldn't it be best to have a 20lt plastic can (translucent preferably) with diesel, and the two pipes (suck and return) going into it?
this way, once you're over for the day, you take the can back home with the car fill it up and bring it for the next leg.
God knows what's on your tanks W. (unless I've missed something...)
My mate with a P45, had a whole 10day trip around the local isles with fuel going through and back to a couple of 60lt tanks that he secured between the engines as he couldn't clean the 1.5 ton tanks in time for his August vacation...

good luck

V.

waynes world

Visit site
wouldn't it be best to have a 20lt plastic can (translucent preferably) with diesel, and the two pipes (suck and return) going into it?
this way, once you're over for the day, you take the can back home with the car fill it up and bring it for the next leg.
God knows what's on your tanks W. (unless I've missed something...)
My mate with a P45, had a whole 10day trip around the local isles with fuel going through and back to a couple of 60lt tanks that he secured between the engines as he couldn't clean the 1.5 ton tanks in time for his August vacation...

good luck

V.

Hi V

I am using a 20l gerry and top it up from th 5l gerrys, i guess it would be easier and safer now to use a transparent one. What got me off guard was that i did a 8hr trip on 7l and the trip after i added the 5l to maybe 2l and ran out in maybe 3hrs. So atleast 6l.

Anyway`s

Thanks to Longjohnsilver :):)

IMG-20190819-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190819-WA0001.jpg

At the minute the leg has a vibration now on mid range revs. This has made a concern now as to get it lifted to the Lancaster some 30 miles away No big deal or bother but i need to make sure the leg does not get more damaged than it is. I cant see any rubbish around the prop but then the leg will not lift enough to check it fully.

Oh yes and i used the dinghy as when i left it opposite the night before the scrotes that was found on the boat by Pete i mentioned before, a blog follower i unknowingly moored next to, found they had tried to remove the stove.

I have left it on the off side so nobody has access to the boat now. Unless they have a boat.

Last edited:

waynes world

Visit site
Is it staying inflated?

After we inflated it, about 30 mins, before i set off back to the mooring i jumped in with few small toll boxes i was near half way to the pontoon and it was like......when you have a lilo on the beach and its folding in half lol.

I was lets say paddling like a demented duck lol.

Although i forgot the small black adaptor so could full inflate it.

was fun :):)

waynes world

Visit site
Ok where are we with the Norman, as i have a spare hour or so from bloody block paving, the house that is not the boat, and totally knackered i will give a late update. I say late as we have been busy cruising Khashoggi and getting the Norman to its home mooring as you will see.

We ended up at Wigan Pier where i had decided on going the rest of the way by road transport. This was due to a vibration from the prop/drive when the revs get up to maybe 1500rpm, so not good to do the Ribble Link. Dont want to damage it more than it is.

I called around local Hiab companies to see who will take the job on, After calling around a good few they were coming back at between £450-£500 for the 30 mile trip. Average i reckon from the last move si have done but then found a place that does it by the hour.....ooooeeeerrr, not one of them places ;)

So i worked it on 4hr job and at £55ph its not bad at all.I have all details to the woman on the phone and all good to go.

Well the day began with us being up at 5am as i used the works van to get my cradles to the boat the day before so i had to drop the van off Tuesday before 6am as i have the week off work.Oh well no biggie as we then set off to the Norman to get it ready for the lift. Thing is we hadnt been given an Am or PM time for the lift. We Had a half hour cruise to the lift spot, so dinghy again to get the boat over to the towpath side, move the car to lift spot then walk back to cruise the boat up.

Well all going well and on time but for me loosing the Anti vandal vandal key for the locks, but as lucky and unlucky as i am i found that i had left my socket set on the boat and in my tool bag had a spare screw bit adaptor. I knocked that into the 10mm head end and the 1/4 drive socket fits the the Anti vandal key :)

So happy days we set off, two locks and got there about 8am to the lift site, only to find the crane driver wont be there until 12am, oh well off to Mc D`s :)

He arrived dead on 12m and when i started to chat to him he didnt have a clue hoe to lift a boat as never done one before :eek::doh:

Some folk would of thought WTF, but nah crack on and he asked me how to go about it, so i did all the lifting but for manouvering the crane. I should of got discount lol.

Video of the lift

20190827-130817.jpg

20190827-130754.jpg

Intake clogged up

INTAKE-2.jpg

Hull, not bad to see the state of the rest of the boat.

20190827-132135.jpg

20190827-132122.jpg

20190827-130500.jpg

Now the thing that was giving it the wobble.

It took some getting out, infact i had to cut it as short as possible. I have collected all sorts in the past in the prop but never a large inner tube

rudder-prop.jpg

Think i will make a new rudder like i did with Khashoggi

20190827-130507.jpg

And lifted back in at Garstang Marina

As said, a half hour cruise home just a few moorings up from Khashoggi :) Just need to prep the mooring, shed and wot not.

20190827-170626.jpg

20190827-160745.jpg

20190827-160815.jpg

Plan is now to get it water tight from top down, being replace all windows and rear cabin door to be made, either wood or GRP not decided yet on that. Then the cockpit roof to be made wit canvas sides. And go from there.

DazzyWoo

Visit site
Hi - I'm a little late to the party - but this looks awesome..

Now a few folk have asked if i have a Youtube channel, i dont as it is but i do fancy having a go at it after much thought today. i think it mite better than a blog as more detail can be shown and spoke about. If you can tell what i am saying that is lol. Would folk be interested in it being followed this way or the way i did the last blog with text and pics?

re: Youtube... here is an example what someone else done (all be it on a car):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGSOZAHg1yQHU1tc_3Y5MTQg1qjtxA_nq .

From memory I think in the Q&A session they said it makes everything take about 3x longer. Then there is the editing to be done in the evenings. I think it was this Q&A session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZr7plOW6UI&list=PLGSOZAHg1yQEatqhWza_ae83e313-GLTO&index=23&t=0s

I thing the end result is pretty amazing and gives an insight into the overhead of doing it via a youtube channel.

GL with it Wayne :encouragement:

waynes world

Visit site
Hi - I'm a little late to the party - but this looks awesome..

re: Youtube... here is an example what someone else done (all be it on a car):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGSOZAHg1yQHU1tc_3Y5MTQg1qjtxA_nq .

From memory I think in the Q&A session they said it makes everything take about 3x longer. Then there is the editing to be done in the evenings. I think it was this Q&A session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZr7plOW6UI&list=PLGSOZAHg1yQEatqhWza_ae83e313-GLTO&index=23&t=0s

I thing the end result is pretty amazing and gives an insight into the overhead of doing it via a youtube channel.

GL with it Wayne :encouragement:

I have decided not to do a YouTube channel, i dont have the time, it takes me long enough to do a blog, not much good with tech stuff and trying to work t out does my head in.

It took 5hrs do download the two vids i made to YouTube and dont understand how to speed it up. looked but nah.

vas

Visit site
well done W,

one q though,
how safe is that place you're going to keep the boat while working on it?
doesn't look that well protected from anyone thinking of nicking bits, tools, whatnot...

V.

waynes world

Visit site
well done W,

one q though,
how safe is that place you're going to keep the boat while working on it?
doesn't look that well protected from anyone thinking of nicking bits, tools, whatnot...

V.

It is an off side field mooring and no public access, not that that matter to low life hey. The main tools etc i have a trailer for to fetch it all up, the genny will be bolted down in the shed though, unless i decide to keep that in the trailer aswell. Nothing is decided yet a you know i go with the flow ;)

sogood

Visit site
Hey Wayne,
Good to see that you're making progress. It's all part of the bigger picture. I agree that if you want to work on the boat, then a YouTube blog would be a real labour of love. It's too easy to start, when things are relatively quiet, and then the time just isn't there when you get busy. Concentrate on the blog here on the forum as it's manageable and tells us all we need to know. Best of luck with it as you carry on.