Product Promotion - Lighting

Slowboat35

Visit site
If the Mods decide this is unacceptable advertising then so be it.
I post this simply as an impressed customer.

Lighting...

To date I've failed to find adequate LED lighting to read by - halogen works but canes the battery.

No longer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08K3D44XV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This lamp really is 'brilliant'! 7Watt LED (!) flexi-stem with a gorilla-like clamp designed for tubing as well as flat surfaces plus cold/warm and amber light selectable at various intensities.
OK, it needs a USB connection but if you have 12v nearby that is a very simple and cheap addition.
It's satisfyingly heavy, solid and feels very robust indeed. It is also genuinely bright enough for serious readers to read by.
Being LED if you stuffed a plastic vending-cup or other translucent diffuser over it and turned it skywards on low power it would make the most superb economical anchor light visible for miles.

The other discovery is this amazing LED striplight.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QN6GDRL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
IT's entirely self-contained, charged from a USB port, three levels of brightness (cold white only more's the pity) but impressively solid, heavy and substantial feeling in this age of paperlight flimsiness. Just over a foot long it has magnetic feet and comes with self adhesive metal discs for it to clap onto. Spare discs are available too.
The guff bleats on about 80 hours - well, go figure, but I ran it flat, charged it overnight and ran it on full from 0930 to 1730. That imho is pretty impressive.It is extremely bright on full power. It will make a superb area light for my cockpit at night, albeit perhaps with a modest amber filter over it and with magpads fixed in the engine bay will be a perfect cordless worklight too. It's also compact enough to carry as a floodlight for shore expeditions or use as cabin lighting for a whole evening and then some,

I'm chuffed to bits with both. This is what technology is for!

Last edited:

William_H

Visit site
I notice the latter lamp claims top have 10400MaH battery. Chines battery makers are inclined to wildly exaggerate battery capacity. So a 18650 Lithium battery seems to have a capacity max around 3000maH typically 2200maH. This is a chunky battery much bigger thanAA size longer but not as fat as c cell. I would imagine it contains a 18650 cell 3.7 volts is typically charged by 5v USB. I can't imagine where they get the 120w. Never the less if you find it bright enouigh and runs for long enough that is all that matters.
Re the first lamp that runs off USB port. If it is run at 7w this will require well over 2 amps to nearer 3 amps. A hefty drain on a computer or battery USB source. ol'will

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I agree with William_H that the power requirements are specs are questionable. I note that the first lamp ad states if you scroll down that it draws something like 2 amps which is quite hefty from a USB port. The second one claims an output of 8000 lumens which puts its electrical requirements in the region of 20 Watts, based on other LED luminaires.

There have been other threads on LED lights including at least one on car running lights. I know of some members on here who have used these, some with satisfactory results and others saying that they over heated. I have LED reading lights on Sea Hawk which work well but they were installed by the previous owner and may not be available now. Unfortunately I can't visit the boat to find out what they are and who makes them

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Ages ago, after an expensive marine led light on a stork failed, I bought a Mains fed croc clip led light from Lidl that went through a mains to 12v dc adapter.
I removed the croc clip and adapter, built a bulkhead mounting box with an on/off switch and connected it to the boat 12v supply.
Works great, the Marine one lasted about 15 months, this one has lasted about 4 or 5 years.

Rappey

Visit site
The brightness of led lights may also be taken with a pinch of salt.. I bought a nice led torch from lidls ,stating 5w. I have a 3w led lender and it is a lot more powerfull , but 20x the price.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Ages ago, after an expensive marine led light on a stork failed, I bought a Mains fed croc clip led light...
I'd expect a croc mounted light to work better than one on a stork. Crocs move a lot less and a lot slower! ;)

Either way, regardless of evidently false claims that I did actually highlight...it was only a mention for two good, useful pieces of kit.

If people want to take issue with their published spec despite reported real life performance then that's their problem.