Princess crashes into Richmond Bridge

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Tell me, with twin engine boats, do the two props rotate in opposite directions to eliminate prop walk? If not, that might explain the stern wandering off when reversing slowly. If so, I guess you could use a higher throttle setting on that side to offset it.

Incidentally, for those who dismiss "risk assessment" as time wasting form filling, I fear you simply don't get it. Risk assessment should be something you do every day & every decision. You do it at every junction & roundabout when driving a car. Anyway, you should be doing it if you want to stay alive. No need for forms, just some thought about the chance of failure & cost of failure.

Skinner56

Visit site
Tell me, with twin engine boats, do the two props rotate in opposite directions to eliminate prop walk? If not, that might explain the stern wandering off when reversing slowly. If so, I guess you could use a higher throttle setting on that side to offset it.

Yes they do. I think when going astern the bow wandered to starboard and I reacted sending the stern starboard and the bow to port.

Observer

Visit site

Incidentally, for those who dismiss "risk assessment" as time wasting form filling, I fear you simply don't get it. Risk assessment should be something you do every day & every decision. You do it at every junction & roundabout when driving a car. Anyway, you should be doing it if you want to stay alive. No need for forms, just some thought about the chance of failure & cost of failure.

Yes the gearboxes are handed. Usually inward turning (I think) but can be outward.

Skinner56

Visit site
Hello Skinner56. Commiserations and congratulations on coming and posting on here.

I hope you haven't found us (me) too unsympathetic. It is easy to be critical with hindsight but I think this was "a bridge too far".

The answer really had to be not to attempt it in those conditions.

I was really sorry to see (and hear) the damage to your boat. I hope it is not too severe and is fixed soon. Where were you headed for anyway?

Thanks. Coming on here has only helped in dealing with this embarrassing episode. Most have been critical but justified, and I've learnt more than if I had gone into a melancholic stupor. Largest portion of the damage is to the radar arch, surveyor in transit. Day trip from Imperial Wharf to Teddington return. Was a fantastic day up to that point.

Observer

Visit site
Thanks. Coming on here has only helped in dealing with this embarrassing episode. Most have been critical but justified, and I've learnt more than if I had gone into a melancholic stupor. Largest portion of the damage is to the radar arch, surveyor in transit. Day trip from Imperial Wharf to Teddington return. Was a fantastic day up to that point.
Good on you for that and really sincere good wishes.

Lozzer

Visit site
Unfortunately I was the only crew member, the others were guests. Considerable damage to the radar arch, may need replacing if Princess still have the mold

Hold on a minute, I don't like to be critical but what do you mean you were the only crew member on board? It's a 67' motor yacht and you navigate single handed! Must be fun docking on your own. What does your insurance company make of that.

You were very close to getting it correct first time. People have quite rightly said had you backed up a little further you would have been fine. You have plenty of power on hand with I assume big MTU's and reasonably powerful thrusters.

Take it as a learning experience and you will do well. We have all had some prang at some point.

Some have suggested going through stern first, I wouldn't suggest this as you are wider at the back and there are blind spots from the flybridge. If the tide is running at 4 knots you have enough power to hold boat wherever you want it.

Good luck. Princess will be able to help with a moulding. You will be surprised what they can do. I know of a Princess 23m that was dropped. Oops. Fixed and as good as new.

KAL

Visit site
Huge credit to you for your honest self-appraisal. Takes some guts to bare your soul like that and having the world commenting on your boat-handling skills. You will have gained a huge amount of invaluable experience, however horrible it was.

So hope that your pride and joy is repaired soon. That's the beauty of GRP and a decent insurance policy.

Good luck!

oldgit

Visit site
What a cracking boat may you have lots of fun and enjoyment in the years to come.
Please do not take to heart any unpleasantness posted elsewhere.
It is embarrassing to even contemplate that other boaters would post this nastiness.
Hope to be passing you at some point on our annual visit to the Thames from the Medway.
If you see some nutcase frantically waving it will be me. :)

teddington_lock

Visit site
Sorry to hear about the damage to your boat.

You do seem like a genuinely nice chap that's just had a bit of bad luck.

Hope it gets sorted quickly and with the minimum of wallet pain. :)

The ebb tide can be strong around Richmond as we are on springs at the moment , coupled with 6 gates still open on our weir.

Last edited:

xyachtdave

Visit site
As a sailor myself, I am ashamed of some of the comments on this incident on scuttlebutt. Apologies.

I almost posted the same comment a couple of hours ago but wasn't in the mood for the potential row with the prolific posters glued to YBW all day.

The same couple of idiots have put me off YBW with their constant drivel.

John100156

Visit site
My extensive (not) river portfolio comprises a dozen or so trips up the Dart, as far as Dittisham when I was berthed in Torquay, but one day I would love to take a boat up the Thames, so this is a very informative thread for me and I really do appreciate the candor of the skipper and critical appraisal of other Forumites - well done skipper for responding and to those with similar sized boats - most interesting.

It's a real shame and simply an accident, it just goes to show how expensive it can be when we get things wrong, thank goodness they invented fibreglass.....!

bikedaft

Visit site
I almost posted the same comment a couple of hours ago but wasn't in the mood for the potential row with the prolific posters glued to YBW all day.

The same couple of idiots have put me off YBW with their constant drivel.

+1

Please the comments on scuttlebutt

We've all messed up stuff. Often, in my case :)

Hope you are back on the water soon

oldgit

Visit site
At least the skipper had the cojones to try it. Many owners of boats that size simply dare not move without 50 metres of water under and 500m of clear water either side.
Good on him for using that boat.

misterg

Visit site
The yacht makes 5 Kts over SOG with both engines in gear, though from Teddington to Richmond the boats port or stbd engines were only engaged, fwd and astern, to keep her positioned.

Does this mean you had (effectively) zero speed through the water? i.e drifting with the tide?

If so, I got caught out like that myself once (in a much more modest boat) - I thought I was going a decent speed up a river estuary, went to turn up-tide to pick up a mooring, but found I had no speed through the water and no manoevarability. The boat (a sailing one) just turned beam-on to the tide and got swept into the next mooring and pinned sideways by 4kn+ of tide. The anchor of the boat on that mooring knocked some gel coat off the side of our coach-roof, but that was the only damage, and fixed with a fiver's worth of filler. I guess your bill will be a bit higher :(

(I stopped reading the other forum some time ago, as too many of the posts and responses seemed to be from very embitterred, petty minded individuals, but hey-ho, each to their own...I just like boats - sail, power, or whatever.)

Tintin

Visit site
Well said. I don't think the comments are typical of sailors. Just typical of morons.

Ok luvvy. You've made your point on the other thred a few times, now on here twice, now can you kindly wind your neck in so this thread stays on how it occurred and what might have possibly been done.

If you have to keep banging on why not start your own thread about how not everyone treats life with as much gravitas as you.

rosssavage

Visit site
Mr Skinner56,

Really sorry about the damage to your boat - I've seen it happen a few times and it happens. Luckily no one hurt.

It's easy for armchair critics to tell you what they would have done, but they weren't there and sometimes you're just unlucky.

I hope you get the boat repaired quickly and continue to get out there and enjoy her :)

rafiki_

Visit site
Yep, my sympathies too Mr Skinner, and well done for coming on here to explain, so a very warm welcome to the forum. My first experience of ditch crawling was on the Norfolk Broads, in a hire yacht. On our way back from Norwich, we found the Reedham swing bridge shut, waiting for a train. No worries, so we close hauled, only for the current to take us into the bridge. No damage done apart from pride, as anyone who know Reedham, will know that the pub overlooks the bridge :)
Learned to,sail on the Solent, no bridges to clout there.