Princess crashes into Richmond Bridge

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I'm confused: why would the water level rise so rapidly with no rain falling?

Dunno what the tide state was but Richmond is below Teddington and, although there is a half tide barrier to prevent the level from falling too low, it can, and does rise very high. At high spring tides it can actually flow upriver over the weir at Teddington and the river becomes tidal up to Hampton Court.

Ramage

Visit site
I'm confused: why would the water level rise so rapidly with no rain falling?

High Tide at Richmond today was 14.44 ft at 14.57. The previous low tide was 1.31 feet at 09.57. At 23.07 tonight the low tide will be 1.97 feet.

Lots of people get taken unawares by the tides at Richmond!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Combination of near Spring tide and a fast flowing river? As somebody who has clouted a bridge with my boat, this fellow has my utmost sympathy

Observer

Visit site
Two videos on YouTube

http://youtu.be/PIiXndllxIQ

http://youtu.be/GulYaobJgVI

Judging by the soundtrack, I'd say that was a very expensive lesson in boat handling - particularly the need to think about how you get out of a situation before you head into it.

I wonder what the experience of the skipper is. Not much judging by what were some basic errors, although the pressure on him must have been near overwhelming.

Fundamentally of course the mistake was getting that boat anywhere near that bridge in those conditions. He got through in the end but I suggest more by luck than being in control. I can't see how to shoot those arches going downstream at anything less than (say) 4kts through the water, which would be minimum 8kts over the ground? What speed is a boat like that making with both engines in gear at idle speed? 5kts?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
It made me cringe hearing the crunching fibreglass. If only he'd carried on astern for another 30 seconds before trying to turn he might have got away with it.

lovezoo

www.myspace.com
In fairness, I think most people wouldn't understand how much damage would be caused.
Or care. There are several pubs around there, and they would be crowded with people on a Sunday afternoon. The sport is normally watching cars that are parked by the river getting flooded, so a big boat getting stuck would be a huge bonus.

Skinner56

Visit site
Humiliating experience.

I am very experienced but mostly at sea, but not so with dealing with a rivers tidal flows.

The yacht makes 5 Kts over SOG with both engines in gear, though from Teddington to Richmond the boats port or stbd engines were only engaged, fwd and astern, to keep her positioned.

The necessary tidal height calculations were completed and a phone call to the PLA boys in the area informed me that I should expect and increase of half a metre on listed tidal heights, this was also taken into consideration. As you could see once I had extracted myself from the bridge I squeezed through as with enough headway backing up my initial precaluculations.

The problem I encountered was aligning the yacht up to the centre line of the arch as the arch has rather steep drop offs from the centre line. Once astern thrust had been engaged, the strong tidal flow started to push the stern to the starboard rather rapidly. This caught me unawares as the yacht obviously has a lot of power to hand, but not enough to stem the tide.

I've certainly learnt a harsh lesson in coping with strong tidal currents, and narrow bridge arches.

Skinner56

Visit site
It made me cringe hearing the crunching fibreglass. If only he'd carried on astern for another 30 seconds before trying to turn he might have got away with it.

I soon as I went astern the tide caught the stern and pushed it to starboard, took me completely by surprise the strength of the flow

peterandjeanette

Visit site
Two videos on YouTube

http://youtu.be/PIiXndllxIQ

http://youtu.be/GulYaobJgVI

Judging by the soundtrack, I'd say that was a very expensive lesson in boat handling - particularly the need to think about how you get out of a situation before you head into it.

I wonder what the experience of the skipper is. Not much judging by what were some basic errors, although the pressure on him must have been near overwhelming.

Fundamentally of course the mistake was getting that boat anywhere near that bridge in those conditions. He got through in the end but I suggest more by luck than being in control. I can't see how to shoot those arches going downstream at anything less than (say) 4kts through the water, which would be minimum 8kts over the ground? What speed is a boat like that making with both engines in gear at idle speed? 5kts?

So what's the answer?

How about turning round before the bridge, and reversing through with the engines going forward?
That would give him time to stem the flow and inch through very slowly.
Or am I missing something?

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
I'm no motor boater but with that flow even I would say keeping the pointy bit upstream and almost 'ferry gliding' backwards through the bridge would be the way I'd approach it! Goosing the throttles in forward on that beast would get you out of the danger zone pretty sharpish I reckon.

Last edited: