Preveza to Bodrum Corinth canal or via Peloponese

jimp45

Visit site
I will be leaving the Ionian in June to cruise east to Bodrum. The obvious route is through the Corinth canal. However I have a feeling I might be missing something if I ignore the south Peloponese.

The wind would seem favourable to get me south and around to bottom and if I stick to the coast a southerly wind should take me sufficiently north to sail across to Bodrum. However I understand the southern part of the Peloponese is subject to strong gusts of wind which is concerning.

This will be the first time my wife and I will have sailed our 36Ft Solaris Sunrise catamaran, although we will have had 1 months practice in the north Ionian, so I would like to avoid difficult wind conditions.

I hope that those forumites who have sailed these areas can offer some advise which would be greatly appreciated.

Jimp45

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
I've circumnavigated the Peloponnese twice anticlockwise on a 39ft multi in July /August.
We had to sit out a couple of days of strong northerlies in Monemvasia one year, but otherwise it was very pleasant sailing. I suspect you'll have stronger winds crossing the Aegean! Your Solaris cat will be a stable platform. Practice reefing and make it easy (and quick). You can head for Milos from Monemvasia, or continue further north for only slightly shorter hops. You'll also save yourself over a hundred pounds in canal fees!

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
We did the journey from the Ionian around the bottom and had a wonderful time The locals we met on our trip were some of the nicest people you would wish to meet .

The only hard bit is around Ak Maleas at the bottom of Peloponnese if you are in no rush this will be no problem. Do not miss out on this wonderful passage We had two large whales by the side of our boat for about 15min

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
That's interesting rtboss, we came across a pod of sperm whales just west of Cape Tainaro too. People later insisted they were dolphins but they were as long as the boat with those distinctive snouts.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
That's interesting rtboss, we came across a pod of sperm whales just west of Cape Tainaro too. People later insisted they were dolphins but they were as long as the boat with those distinctive snouts.

Most definitely whales I posted it on here must be 7 -8 years ago. We identified them as Cuvier`s whales brown mottled with white and large barnacles about 6 -8 meters long if I remember correctly. only two swimming together side by side ,theres 3000meter depths around the bottom of the Peloponnese plenty of room for whales

rivonia

Visit site
I will be leaving the Ionian in June to cruise east to Bodrum. The obvious route is through the Corinth canal. However I have a feeling I might be missing something if I ignore the south Peloponese.

The wind would seem favourable to get me south and around to bottom and if I stick to the coast a southerly wind should take me sufficiently north to sail across to Bodrum. However I understand the southern part of the Peloponese is subject to strong gusts of wind which is concerning.

This will be the first time my wife and I will have sailed our 36Ft Solaris Sunrise catamaran, although we will have had 1 months practice in the north Ionian, so I would like to avoid difficult wind conditions.

I hope that those forumites who have sailed these areas can offer some advise which would be greatly appreciated.

Jimp45

Hello fellow SOLARIS SUNRISE--- We are in the Med and will be heading towards messolonhi marina for winter. Our cat is the same as yours and we have sailed her from LARGS in Scotland down to Spain-Almerimar. Do keep in touch and let us know how your journey goes. There is just me and my wife on board.

Fair winds

Peter

jimp45

Visit site
Hi Rivonia
I looked at your solaris at Largs, it's a fine well equiped yacht.
I could not afford the asking price. Eventually I found "Orchid"
as Solaris Sunrise Sport, at a price I could afford, in Preveza.

I've read your posts with intrest, you've had quite a years cruising.

I shall keep a lookout for you.

Fair winds
Jimp45

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
I think the two nicest places in Greece are the Pelopponese and Halkidiki in the very north.

Three depression tracks meet off the Pelopponese but the gales usually only last a day. Finding shelter is easy. If you go through the canal it would be worth a detour north. The area doesn't get the Meltemi and then downhill all the way to Bodrum.

It would be a shame to miss both of those areas.

mocruising

Visit site
Sailed from Corfu round the Pel. last year then through the canal to Mesolonghi for the winter. Would not miss it for the world. By far the nicest part of Greece, for us anyway. Take heed of Maleas we experienced 45 kts last year when we sailed round. It was a great opportunity to test our storm sails, which we prepared for the passage.

Bob

www.cruiserlog.com
Jimp45
See the Routes and Passages of the Greek Islands (Ionian and Aegean) on the World Cruising Wiki's section on Greece: http://www.cruiserlog.com/wiki/index.php?title=Greece

Tons of information - enjoy!

pltidwell

Visit site

Jimp45

In the event that you might see this, we are trying to contact you about your boat. We are in touch with Samet and hope to arrange a meeting. Traveling to Turkey soon and look forward to learning more.

grumpygit

Visit site

Jimp45

As mentioned by rtboss, (aka Mr C.) don't miss the trip if time and weather allows and there is nothing guaranteeing the canal will be open as there is ongoing work and closures because of subsidence. I think last year it was closed for circa 3 months through he summer.
Winds are just to be lived with if and when they come but there is plenty of boltholes down the west coast of the Peloponnese and generally on your route direction will be favourable. It can get a bit hairy around the bottom from pilot notes but I have been down there plenty times and never had anything we couldn't sail in. As mentioned the crossing of the Aegean could be another challenge with the Meltemi so you will of course have to plan accordingly.