Premier Marinas any Bertholder rebates?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
- and I’m having difficulty seeing the essential key worker part of this.
The restrictions state that you should work from home where possible but you are permitted to travel to work where that is not the case. Nothing to do with essential or key workers, simply you can travel to work if you have to. The same does not apply to boat owners travelling to visit their boats unless, say, you need to move it to a summer mooring, which seems to be permitted in Portsmouth, perhaps elsewhere.
The discussion is academic to me, as there‘s been a stop on relaunches for three weeks now, so my boat‘s going nowhere.

Rappey

Visit site
So if someone is getting paid they can travel to the marina, go on a boat and do any work necessary ? But if it's your own boat you can't?
Therefore can only assume getting paid gives you virus immunity ?

Baroudeur

Visit site
I berth with Premier and find their service most agreeable.

I’m happy to read this, but I think it’s worth highlighting that there’s a big difference between Brighton and the others. For instance, in Brighton, to wash and dry clothes is ~£9 (possibly more now), whereas in more westerly Premier marinas it’s ~£5 or less in some cases I believe. Lifting costs are also inflated, and the relationship between marina staff (not all) is generally quite combative. I also understand from long term tenants that people who complain ‘too much’ are asked to leave with little notice. FWIW, I know and get on with a number of staff there, but sometimes I just am left agog at the ‘marina’s’ utter lack of customer service and/or professionalism - the crazy high staff turnover is a key indicator of management there too I feel.

Baroudeur

Visit site
The restrictions state that you should work from home where possible but you are permitted to travel to work where that is not the case. Nothing to do with essential or key workers, simply you can travel to work if you have to. The same does not apply to boat owners travelling to visit their boats unless, say, you need to move it to a summer mooring, which seems to be permitted in Portsmouth, perhaps elsewhere.
The discussion is academic to me, as there‘s been a stop on relaunches for three weeks now, so my boat‘s going nowhere.

thanks for clarifying that.

Rappey

Visit site
I would agree with baroudeur there is certainly a difference in service between marinas depending on location.
There is no competition in Brighton.
There is in Portsmouth due to many marinas in the area.
I know of cases where people have left a marina in favour of a better deal nearby, only to come back a year later as the customer service did not cut it.
Some will charge to tow you in, others have always done it for free.
Customer service seems more important to many over a slightly cheaper rate.

dom

Visit site
I’m happy to read this, but I think it’s worth highlighting that there’s a big difference between Brighton and the others. For instance, in Brighton, to wash and dry clothes is ~£9 (possibly more now), whereas in more westerly Premier marinas it’s ~£5 or less in some cases I believe. Lifting costs are also inflated, and the relationship between marina staff (not all) is generally quite combative. I also understand from long term tenants that people who complain ‘too much’ are asked to leave with little notice. FWIW, I know and get on with a number of staff there, but sometimes I just am left agog at the ‘marina’s’ utter lack of customer service and/or professionalism - the crazy high staff turnover is a key indicator of management there too I feel.

I know, I can’t understand it but Brighton seems to be one of a kind: sulky, uninterested, ill-mannered staff, dirty walkways, grungy toilets, etc. Perhaps it’s something to do with its eclectic mix of student accommodation, pleasure yachting, fishing boats, dive boats, and lifestyle liveaboards? Dunno.

Whatever it is, Brighton needs sorting, no arguing with that.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I know, I can’t understand it but Brighton seems to be one of a kind: sulky, uninterested, ill-mannered staff, dirty walkways, grungy toilets, etc. Perhaps it’s something to do with its eclectic mix of student accommodation, pleasure yachting, fishing boats, dive boats, and lifestyle liveaboards? Dunno.

There is also the ongoing issue of the place silting up.

When we were there last they were advising against departure or entry with a couple of hours or LW. Not such an issue coming from the West but must be a pain headed East

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I bet Premier are regretting all the advertising they have bought - it seems that not a day goes by within an email from ybw or some such inviting me to take out an annual berth with them.

Last edited:

laika

Visit site
I know, I can’t understand it but Brighton seems to be one of a kind: sulky, uninterested, ill-mannered staff, dirty walkways, grungy toilets, etc.

I don't think this is fair. The east jetty facilities were done up in the same style as chichester and swanwick. The cleaners do a fantastic job despite some of the more unsavoury customers. The staff have to put up with abuse from a wider range of people with mental health issues than do staff at most marinas: I've found the vast majority of staff to be friendly and helpful and in some cases, notably one of our fellow forumites, you couldn't ask for a more competent berthing master. Yes there is sometimes a lack of subject matter knowledge presumably due to turnover but I've never noticed lack of manners.

The silting is of course ridiculous. I'd hoped it would get better after the transfer from blackrock to welcome but the time I spend in the mud has only got worse.

Despite what has been posted they are standing by their original prorated annual fee demand and have again declined an offer of winter rate as a compromise given they've de-activated my fob, they are not supplying their normal service and I would dearly like to move. I wonder if they are furloughing staff and claiming the government handout or if everyone is still on full pay. I had planned on returning to Brighton in October but this malarkey might push me to Haslar.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Slightly off topic- but anybody thinking of moving to a D&R marina should be able to take advantage of their 'referral' discount via the helpful members of this forum.

I think there is at least four of us at Haslar alone.

dom

Visit site
I don't think this is fair. The east jetty facilities were done up in the same style as chichester and swanwick. The cleaners do a fantastic job despite some of the more unsavoury customers. The staff have to put up with abuse from a wider range of people with mental health issues than do staff at most marinas: I've found the vast majority of staff to be friendly and helpful and in some cases, notably one of our fellow forumites, you couldn't ask for a more competent berthing master. Yes there is sometimes a lack of subject matter knowledge presumably due to turnover but I've never noticed lack of manners.

The silting is of course ridiculous. I'd hoped it would get better after the transfer from blackrock to welcome but the time I spend in the mud has only got worse.

Despite what has been posted they are standing by their original prorated annual fee demand and have again declined an offer of winter rate as a compromise given they've de-activated my fob, they are not supplying their normal service and I would dearly like to move. I wonder if they are furloughing staff and claiming the government handout or if everyone is still on full pay. I had planned on returning to Brighton in October but this malarkey might push me to Haslar.

Gosh, I'm not sure how to respond to that; I mean you clearly know the place better than me and I'll go with that. And yet, your mention of "unsavoury customers", and "abuse from a wider range of people with mental health issues", while consistent with what I've seen, is nevertheless unusual in the context of a marina. For example, my kids once headed out of the marina to buy some fishing tackle whereupon they happened on a couple squatted in the walkway doing their business in full view of all.

Not wishing to be judgmental here - and accepting that these poor folk have drug/mental health issues - I'm really not sure that a marina is a suitable place for their treatment. Whereas I'm very sure that their presence is unconducive to a normal family atmosphere. Although if that is what the staff are dealing with, it does throw their lack of interest in passing visitors and nautical matters into sharp relief.

Edit: the lack of dredging in the entrance is compounded by scant local knowledge of what the depths might be at any point in time! Perhaps they could take a lesson from Chichester here?

Last edited:

laika

Visit site
It's unclear from your post if what your kids saw was inside or outside the marina. I've never seen anything like that in nearly 5 years. It's an enormous marina in a mixed area so it's not surprising that you're going to get a handful of alcoholics in a bad financial situation who end up taking it out verbally on the staff. The marina do "evict" problem berthholders and certainly don't condone any behaviour which is inappropriate for a marina.

All I can say is that I've enjoyed being in Brighton, have never enjoyed such a sense of community in a marina as I have on my pontoon, have made some good friends and, thinking hard about all my staff encounters...I can only think of one time I thought "hmm...he was a bit grumpy and rubbish" of a guy on nightwatch I'd never seen before and never saw again. My issues are my boat being in the mud every day ( and it's been a lonnng time since I saw any communication about dredging progress or when we might expect all tide berths again), a huge rate bump at 12m when my boat is few centimetres over and now this inflexible normal rate despite no access thing.

ithet

Visit site
Reme

Brighton marina came into being after a (local) referendum, we know how that goes. Although too young to vote, I remember most people did not understand the marina aspects, but were swayed by the local facilities offered (but never delivered).

dom

Visit site
@laika: I was moored on Pontoon 13 which is the only one I can practically use. What the kids saw was along the West Jetty between the toilets and the laundry room (?) Aside from which, I note your mention this time of "a handful of alcoholics in a bad financial situation". While not wishing to be in the least judgmental, and in no way suggesting that the vast majority of marina residents are anything but thoroughly decent folk, this does seem to be a somewhat incongruous mixture to say the least.

@ithet: Interesting observation and I guess that was before Brent Walker's ill-fated ownership. Part of the problem with marina projects is that the artist impressions look so damn stunning. These seem to make Town Planners the world over go weak at the knees!

Last edited:

laika

Visit site
this does seem to be a somewhat incongruous mixture to say the least?

It's the biggest marina in the country and I believe it used to be the biggest in europe (citation needed :). It's in a city which has the usual city problems. A small number of people with personal issues in a 1200 berth marina in a very mixed city is bound to be unavoidable and if they cause trouble the marina tries to deal with it. Despite your report, I've never seen anything non-family-friendly on the pontoons: Mention of a few people with alcohol issues doesn't mean winos rolling down the pontoons in the middle of the day but it can be a reason why some people can get over emotional give the office staff an unreasonably hard time occasionally.

Baroudeur

Visit site
Whilst I haven’t ever raised my voice or shown discontent overtly, and I understand the comments above regarding a small subset of marina users too, I have experienced and witnessed more occasions of staff having to be constantly reminded and nudged to do things than I should have. it is crazily frustrating having to wait for something to be done, only to find out it was all forgotten about in the first place and then be faced with an attitude that leaves you no doubt how troublesome you’re being.

I’m still watching liveaboards working on their boats daly via Instagram and yet I (and many many others) are denied access! That’s also very frustrating indeed.

Brighton could be really good if the management had some kind of motivated strategy and the staff felt valued and supported, but it all seems so shortsighted and the staff, when they befriend and trust you, seem to be the most ardent critics of the whole place themselves - and Im talking about some very long term folks. The facilities refresh is great, but honestly very much tainted by how overdue it was in the first place. I’m happy it’s done (opening this week on the west I believe too?) but the constant emails telling us how much it’s cost them is like mutley the dog asking constantly for a new medal.

Anyway, I just think there are so many easy wins for Brighton Marina that would collectively make a big difference to berth holders, but I truly think they don’t care (no competition of course). Shame.

Zagato

Visit site
Visited Chichester Premier Marina today as we walked down the footpath for exercise. They were dredging the entrance but all was quiet apart from 5 people who were on their boats that I could see on the slip side of the marina!! The entrance to the marina was blocked off half way across the road with bollards with warning signs not to enter (sign also saying OK to use footpath but not over the lock which was fenced off) and there were 4-5 cars parked outside the first little car park on your right as you enter. A white Porsche went through the barrier now working on the main straight down to the yacht Club etc and one of the parked cars suddenly accelerated and followed closely behind the Porsche to get though also!! Quite a few cyclists going up and down and a few walkers using the footpath route. Nobody on the water to watch so I gave my disinterested family a lecture on hull shapes whilst admiring a Contessa 32 and a Maxi 1050 (wondering if it is PRVS on here) and smugly saying this is why I like trailer sailers that you can keep at home ?