Potential for tidal power generation? Sailors thoughts.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Regarding tidal power generation, one disconcerting aspect is that the energy is being extracted from the rotational kinetic energy of the earth-moon system. Yeah, I know it's an infinitesimal amount, but idea of deliberately slowing the earth's rotation is a bit unsettling.

Infinitesimal as you say. I wouldn't worry too much, Prof. MacKay (see link to free book in #12) did state that:
"Even if we doubled the power ex-tracted from the earth–moon system, tidal energy would still last more
than a billion years."

Water doesn't just slosh around the planet forever without losing energy, hitting land masses etc. The planet is being slowed down anyway and extracting tidal energy simply allows it to be useful rather than being wasted.

"The natural tides already slow down the earth’s rotation. The natural rotational energy loss is roughly 3 TW (Shepherd, 2003). Thanks to natural tidal friction, each century, the day gets longer by 2.3milliseconds. Many tidal energy extraction systems are just extracting energy that would have been lost anyway in friction."

Last edited:

NormanS

Visit site
Infinitesimal as you say. I wouldn't worry too much, Prof. MacKay (see link to free book in #12) did state that:
"Even if we doubled the power ex-tracted from the earth–moon system, tidal energy would still last more
than a billion years."

Water doesn't just slosh around the planet forever without losing energy, hitting land masses etc. The planet is being slowed down anyway and extracting tidal energy simply allows it to be useful rather than being wasted.

"The natural tides already slow down the earth’s rotation. The natural rotational energy loss is roughly 3 TW (Shepherd, 2003). Thanks to natural tidal friction, each century, the day gets longer by 2.3milliseconds. Many tidal energy extraction systems are just extracting energy that would have been lost anyway in friction."

We're doomed! Ah tell ye, we're a' doomed!

earlybird

Visit site
This Swedish company are taking a somewhat different approach are operating a R&D site in Strangford Lough at Portaferry and a test production site off Hollyhead
https://minesto.com/our-technology
http://www.euronews.com/2017/05/22/an-underwater-kite-built-to-harness-tidal-energy

An interesting concept, but I rather feel that it's somewhat the equivalent of pulling oneself up by one's own bootlaces.
Be interesting to see some actual figures.
Incidentally, i'm surprised that so far, no-one has mentioned the tide-mill at Woodbridge.