Poss engine prob/dirty hull?

baldyash

Visit site
Just wondered if an increase in fuel from about 50 l/hr & 19.5k -65 l/ht & about 14 knots maybe just a dirty bottom.Engine turbo cuts in revs & just drop back & wont get anywhere near normal WOT. Normal (19.5k) sits at 2950rpm ish & now 14k sits a t around 2600 & increasing throttle(WOT) get may be another 2 knots & 72l/hr+ -----no black smoke & no overheat Boat has only been used 2 this year --3 months ago & last w/e . Ran for over 2.5 hrs & no probs apart from that.Fuel did go from 65 down to about 59l/hr & did get another 1.5 knots at same revs eventually which made be think dirty hull but the seemed such a large difference from normal.Yanmar 380 hp with 82 hrs only!.I know, I really must use it more!:confused:

Bandit

Visit site
I assume this is Beneteau Antares 30ft with a single Yanmar 380?

It could well be hull and prop fouling.

When was the boat last lifted, pressure washed and antifouled, I assume she is in seawater ?

Bandit

Visit site
So I assume again you are saying :

Jotun Sea Queen antifouling ?

The boat was pressure washed, antifouled and the prop , shaft and rudder cleaned in April 2014 ?

I assume she is kept in seawater ?

Floating Preferably

Visit site
Gosh 8 weeks+ from being antifouled. Is it really fouled up that quick? My opinion of antifouls is not very high since they stopped us using TBT, but even I reckon they work for at least 10 weeks, but I make sure my boat is used a minimum of every other week. Fuel cost now demands we keep boats weed free. I would be inclined to get the boat lifted and blasted off, but check locally the suitability of the antifoul you used in you local water. Maybe be prepared to slap another coat on. If, for example your boat is in brackish water you use different antifoul to that you would use in pure salt. Your local marina service guys should be able to help. Good luck.

baldyash

Visit site
Waiting for lift out this week to have a look . Pressure wash & change the anodes whilst out anyway.Give the prop a burnish as well.

baldyash

Visit site
Our boat lives to fight another day! Cant believe that slime & a few barnacles on the prop could cause such a decrease in speed. Hull was not badly fouled ---generally just slime. I must use it more . I must use it more , I must use it more --------. Anodes needed replacing as well so did that whilst out. Thanks Bradwell Marina for prompt help. Had a wave with Radio Caroline which has moored in the River Blackwater whilst on my test run. Brings back memories!