Portuguese residency - current situation - advice needed

nortada

Visit site
We like Cascais, it is a pretty town if a little 'upmarket' for plebs like us.

Current plan is for a 3 month trip to the Canaries, then to Madera and maybe the Azores (both Portuguese territory of course)

This 'East Atlantic circuit' could be repeated...

- W

Unless you get the weather right, it is hard work going north up the Silver Coast.

I understand that Cape Verde is not Portuguese territory. Nor is it in the EU so this could add another dimension.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Unless you get the weather right, it is hard work going north up the Silver Coast.

I understand that Cape Verde is not Portuguese territory. Nor is it in the EU so this could add another dimension.

We wouldn't be heading North up the coast, we would be returning to the Algarve from either Porto Santo or the Azores.

From Cape Verde back to Canarias is always an uphill slog.

- W

Alicatt

Visit site
This just popped up on my face book news feed:
Our group (second home owners and renters and boat owners in Greece) have managed to get a little coverage in the Telegraph online as part of our efforts to try to get something better than 90/180 in Greece. However there is one line in the piece that I'm not sure is right. It says: 'with the recent news that Portugal will allow Britons to remain in the country for 180 days without a visa, ...' Is that correct? As far as I know, Portugal hasn't done this. Anyone know the answer? (Sorry the piece is behind the Telegraph paywall).
Could Brexit signal the end of the road for second-home owners in Europe?

nortada

Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, Portugal has not offered non-EU nationals, who are not registered for residency in Portugal, a 180 days in 365 days contiguous stay.

That is not to say it won’t happen in the not too distant future.

Portugal wants/needs visitors/income, the size of visiting boating community is very small beer compared with the mobile home owners who like to over-winter in the Algarve.

If thy could continue to visit from Oct-Mar (inc) without residency, at stroke it would make their lives much easier (driving licenses etc.)

Little doubt, brains bigger than mine have already latched on to this

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, Portugal has not offered non-EU nationals, who are not registered for residency in Portugal, a 180 days in 365 days contiguous stay.
That is not to say it won’t happen in the not too distant future.

I doubt it will happen, Portugal is in Schengen and it seems those rules overrule any local ones.

Wren50

N/A
Visit site
An article in the Telegraph today advised that Portugal is thinking of allowing up to 180 day stays for UK Passport holders in the future but until that time, UK passport holders will have to apply for residency in Portugal to stay more than 90 days in 180 days after 01/01/2021.

The previous article reported above was badly worded it appears.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
And...

Because we got our NIF numbers with our Portuguese address (the marina) I now believe we may have inadvertently become liable to pay tax in Portugal???

Oops. Will we be chased up to fill in tax returns?

Thinking we should maybe have got our NIF numbers with our UK address??

- W

RAI

Visit site
And...

Because we got our NIF numbers with our Portuguese address (the marina) I now believe we may have inadvertently become liable to pay tax in Portugal???

- W
Not the NIF, registration as a resident may lead to a tax declaration being requested. The NIF is a life long number for you. Passport and ID card numbers change on renewal. The NIF does not.

nortada

Visit site
Not the NIF, registration as a resident may lead to a tax declaration being requested. The NIF is a life long number for you. Passport and ID card numbers change on renewal. The NIF does not.

Had a NIF for 18 years and residency for 2 and to date, not been asked for a tax declaration.

Not too bothered to do one if I asked, because I could end up about £1,000 pa better off. (20% of OAP less costs).

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
And...
- W

My wife is a citizen and I have permanent residence, after advice from a tax official, we've never submitted returns as all entries for income in Portugal would be zero, we just have a current bank account there.

nortada

Visit site
An article in the Telegraph today advised that Portugal is thinking of allowing up to 180 day stays for UK Passport holders in the future but until that time, UK passport holders will have to apply for residency in Portugal to stay more than 90 days in 180 days after 01/01/2021.

The previous article reported above was badly worded it appears.
Link❓