Portsmouth's own spinnaker...

LaurenceK

Visit site
Re: Portsmouth\'s own spinnaker...

What a dreary bunch of tired old salts you lot are.

Far from being boring or a waste of money I think it's inspired - a spectacular landmark, a great feat of engineering and a reminder that there is more to life than simply spending on the essentials.

If we all did that, none of us would have boats.

Becky

Visit site

Well, the local opinion seems to me to be that the whole thing is a dreadful waste of money. What they should have done is use the thing as one support for a decent bridge (suitably modified), or even better, the site could have been used as the entrance to a tunnel under the harbour entrance, to relieve the appalling traffic congestion in Gosport.

Fill

Visit site

No it's great. All we need now is a whacking great tower on the Island and with F**** Big Chimney every budding day skipper has got a perfect 3 point fix.

Merman

Visit site

I see the tower every day as I wake up on my boat. I think it is a great feat of engineering and visually pleasing.

There has been a huge amount of mismanagment by Portsmouth City Council during the design and build but in spite of the interference it is here and will attract a huge amount of interest from people who visit the city.

Lighten up you people and come back and post again after it is open and you have stood aloft and seen the breathtaking views.

Bergman

Visit site

Perhaps main reason people in 100 years will think differently because they didn't have to pay the bill.

Interesting that both your examples are French.

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
the Spinnaker Tower will blow over in a hurricane in the next 15 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it tall enough to raise insurance premiums in Haslar marina?