Portsmouth to malta

tamarind

Visit site
Has anyone got any idea of the cheapest way of getting a 12.5m boat down to Malta?
Ship or lorry? Maybe transport to Italy then cruise her over to Malta?

z1ppy

Visit site
Malta is not a cheap place to get out of gauge cargo to. i don't know what boat you have but at 12.5 meters you are overlength for a 40 ft Flat rack container (and assume also over width and height) although this doesnt mean it couldnt go on a container vessel, it would just need more planning.

as said, look at getting it to another main port and moving it on from there to cut costs down.

There are several boat shipping companies out there, Sevenstar would not be one i would recommend based on what i have heard from some of their customers on service level but there are of course several sides to every story.

in no particular order.

Peters and May
Premier Shipping and Packing
Complete Marine Freight
Sevenstar
GAC

(all have Southampton offices)

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
My advice is to shop round with the shippers and play hardball.
We moved a 60' Van der Valk to Turkey for £13k from Soton so it pays to say, "no thanks" and wait for the reduction to be offered!
The other option is to look for a road transporter who wants a one way load to Italy and then have a holiday and motor the boat from there maybe.

Greg2

Visit site
Not sure about Italy. We looked at buying a boat there and the bureaucracy relating to road transport appeared to be a major problem, with the advice being not to consider it and to get the boat out of Italy by sea.