Portable Battery Operated Depth Sounder?

lindsay

Visit site
Anyone tried one of these? I thought of buying one as an immediately usable cheapo backup, a bit like the Garmin etrex 10 as a second gps. (which works fine)

The portable depth finders are as little as 28 gbp and work off AA batteries.

When I had problems several years ago with the installed Stowe instrument, which involved much toing and froing from Spain to the UK manufacter, and an eventual haulout for the new transducer, I did install one of those cheapo b/w hang over the stern thru swimming ladder types ,but it needs to be screwed down on deck and connected to the 12v.

I am in the Mediterranean, no tides etc .

Visit site
I came across one a few years ago and never had the chance to use it because my son decided that the inshore lifeboat had greater need. In the nature of things the rib goes into shallow, dirty water and having a sounder at the bow can be handy.

GHA

Visit site
Might be handy scoping out anchorages - see how close you can sneak in away from the rest or find a nice hole to lie in? Quicker than a lead line, and who needs a real reason to buy a new gadget ;)

RupertW

Visit site
Might be handy scoping out anchorages - see how close you can sneak in away from the rest or find a nice hole to lie in? Quicker than a lead line, and who needs a real reason to buy a new gadget ;)

That's why my keel is for - I should put a rubber bumper on it. My wifes loves swimming in light turquoise water and if there is no swell, settled weather and a sandy bottom it's amazing how tolerant you can become to proximity of keel bottom and sand.

geem

Visit site
We use ours to check out an anchorage from the rib. We find it useful especially since we are deep draft

prv

Visit site
Another gizzmo to go wrong ? when a leadline would do the trick.

It's one thing to dangle a line over the side of a stationary boat to check the sounder offset or see which direction will be best to try to pull off a mudbank. It's quite another to keep up a constant rhythm of soundings from a boat moving forwards at speed. Maybe you have the skill, but I'm pretty sure I don't, and in any case I ought to be back aft navigating or even steering rather than stuck at the shrouds swinging a leadline around. Much more sensible to have a cheap battery sounder I can rig up if needed and then just look at the screen like normal.

Pete

nortada

Visit site
Portable Depth Sounder & wifi Enderscope/Boroscope.

Try Google, loads of them costing between £30 and £200. Can't advise which is the best value for money. Others may be able to help.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Whilst on the subject of useful gadgets.

How about a wifi waterproof enderscope/borescope for checking under the boat (anodes), locating tools dropped over board or looking around corners?

Again it does what it says on the box. Google for information. Sold by Amazon.

I have a 7m one which cost less than £25.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/5m-cab...324697366770&gclid=CLeQp5r45NQCFSMW0wodC6UC4A

Last edited:

RupertW

Visit site
Re: Portable Depth Sounder & wifi Enderscope/Boroscope.

Try Google, loads of them costing between £30 and £200. Can't advise which is the best value for money. Others may be able to help.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Whilst on the subject of useful gadgets.

How about a wifi waterproof enderscope/borescope for checking under the boat (anodes), locating tools dropped over board or looking around corners?

Again it does what it says on the box. Google for information. Sold by Amazon.

I have a 7m one which cost less than £25.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/5m-cab...324697366770&gclid=CLeQp5r45NQCFSMW0wodC6UC4A

Haven't used mine much since but it was really useful for locating a water leak without having to dismantle furniture just to rule out a few areas.