Poole->Southampton

captainalex

Visit site
Is anyone able to give an estimate of journey time between Poole harbour and Southampton water( cruising speed, 25-30 knots)?.

thanks

Rustyknight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
090 all the way into the solent - straight line; reverse it going home

this way if the fog closes in or you loose the plotter /whatever you only need a compass...........

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice save! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
270 all the way into the solent - straight line; reverse it going home

[/ QUOTE ]

Frontier

Visit site
From the Town Quay to the South Hook cardinal mark outside Poole at 10kts and the rest of the journey up to roughly where the QEII parks at 25 kts, works out at 1 hours 50 mins. (on C-map) (ooops I missed a couple of waypoints on the first reply)

I think it took me about 4 hrs 40 mins from Chichester Marina to Poole earleir this year. That was at about 20kts ish and I have to do about 7kts down to the sea when I leave the marina so that takes 40 mins.

The route was across Poole bay and via the North Channel around Hurst Point. On the good advice of the forum.

D

peterb26

www.theblundells.co.uk
Heres the google earth plot.

poolesoton.jpg

Solitaire

Visit site
I used to regularly "commute" between the Eastlands Boatyard (top of the Hamble) to Cobbs Quay marina and it used to take me 2 hours berth to berth. But an hour of that was doing the Hamble and 10 knots within Poole Harbour. Used to reckon on an hour from Hamble Point South Cardinal to the chain ferry using the North channel. Mode would dictate if I went inshore or just headed straight to No 1 bar.

captainalex

Visit site
thanks for all the helpful replies. The reason i ask is because i've only reached as far as Yarmouth from Poole during a May handover last year. I will be making the trip to Southampton in July where the boat should find its new berth.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Dont understand the question either. I thort Poole was in the solent, well more or less anyway. Is it a bit like the best way round marble arch??

Whilst on the subject. Some one seems to have done away with my inner route out of poole. It used to be, like close to Bournmouth, then head out a bit. But it seems to have changed since last time I was there. I dont make a habit of it!!

Has it all dried up now and you have to go the long way round. The 90 deg, 270 would not work on my last route. Well dont think so. But no charts here.

BrendanS

Visit site
One of the best ways of learning is to ask for someone familiar with the area to hop on board with you when you have a rough date in mind. Best to have a window of dates, to allow for weather conditions. You'll learn more in 2 hours with someone that knows the area and pointing out features and problem areas than you will running up and down the same route for a year.

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Some one seems to have done away with my inner route out of poole. It used to be, like close to Bournmouth, then head out a bit. But it seems to have changed since last time I was there. I dont make a habit of it!!

Has it all dried up now and you have to go the long way round.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can still run inshore but the pots can be very numerous, as they are around Hengisbury Head. The inshore route takes you via the East Looe channel, but although well marked it's only really any good in favourable weather and tide situations.

Solitaire

Visit site
Dare I ask if you have charts and know how to read them? You can plan your route in the comfort of your home and work out both distance and how long it will take you. If it's your first trip then exit via the swash way and turn to port at No 1 bar buoy. There is a special mark on the chart called "Lambeth" use that as a mid point as it will take you clear of the "potted" area off Hengisbury Head. Then head for the North Channel buoy - starboard lateral mark - which will then take you close inshore by Hurst Castle - you are then in the Solent proper!

There is no need for you to use the main channel through Hurst at all and in wind over tide situations you will also find it very uncomfortable. By keeping close inshore you avoid the full tidal effects. Just be aware though that there is a bar that comes out as you run through Hurst on the Solent side that can catch you out if you get to close, but the chart indicates that.