Poole Harbour

G

I recently purchased my boat last year and intend taking it for a weeks sail in June, amongst other places I intend visiting is Poole. I have never visited before and from what I hear the Town Quay is a good place to visit if you want to be near pubs and shops etc, I beleive its been modernised, if its full which marina would be the best alternative to remain near civilization? I guess the same applies to Chichester, I would like to visit there and again would like to be near a pub or 2 etc and as I do not believe it is possible to get a mooring overnight at Bosham which is the best Marina/visitors bouys to aim for?

G

The town quay is for short stay only now. This is because they have built a pontoon marina at one end and want to charge a fortune to stay o/night.

Try Pool yacht club just beyond the ferry terminal. bit more of a walk into town however.

G

For an overnight stay at Chichester you've got a fair choice. Chichester Marina takes visitors or you can pick up a visitor's buoy at Itchenor. The marina has all the usual facilities , showers etc. and you can eat drink at Chichester Yacht Club or in there is a pub in the marina complex. Itchenor has a pub, the Ship Inn and a loo and that's your lot. Both are mile away from Chichester.

As Andy said the Town Quay at Poole is for short stays only, I think 2 hrs maximum. Longer stays can be had at the new marina. Be prepared to pay a fortune for it !!!!

G

I live near and sail in Poole Harbour so this is the straight word. Anywhere along side/or Marina finger birth will have good to excelent facilities and cost a packet. The bigger yacht clubs are incredibly snobby and unwelcoming if you have anything less than a 40ft'er. However 'round the back' of the harbour there are some beautiful anchorages that have no facilities at all eceptpeace and tranquility. Other thoughts are up the Wareham River [partly the Piddle if you want to brag] to Wareham Quay which has room for small boats. Wareham is quite a lively town in the summer. There is also Swanage if the weather is fair [no good in a S easterly]. Swanage is a buzzing little spot in the summer months, candy floss, kababs, night clubs and drug addicts and/or drunks. Yer pays yer money un tecks yer choise as the say. If you want any futher details and cheap/free launch sites e-mail me direct.